Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i finally bought my cummins ive been waiting for its an 01 2500 laramie with 120 thousand on it, it has a volant intake im looking for some advice on where to beging building it up but money is a factor i mean im only a 19 year old, the truck will be a daily driver will be towing and snowplowing so its gota be strong and dependable, soo where do i start haha

·
Not enough $$$
286 Posts
strong lift pump such as a fass or airdog and a set of gauges, especially a fuel pressure gauge

·
Banned
378 Posts
well is it an auto or manual?? like above go with guages.. fuel presure.. boost... egt... and if auto i would get a tran temp guage.. then go with a good lift pump... some exhaust.. chip... intake (bhaf is cheap good intake filter bolts to stock tube)... im only 18 and i have my mods in my sig so its possible money wise haha...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its an auto

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Ditto what the other guys said. I'd get a new lift pump NOW before the gauges or anything else. The lift pump sucks and needs to be addressed ASAP. Then start saving for a tranny because it probably will start acting up on you if it hasn't already. I'm waiting for my truck right now to get back from tranny shop. Looking at a $2000+ bill. But it's getting rebuilt, low-stall triple disc converter, and new seals in the transfer case. Plus getting those two items addressed you won't have to take it easy on your truck at the risk of blowing the trans or wondering how much fuel pressure you have.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
I started with gauges first, now i have a raptor 150 and diablo power puck coming soon. After that i will prolly buy 5 inch exhaust.

·
Hemi
12,666 Posts
Airdog
Gauges
Exhaust
Trans work
Quadzilla Adrenaline
Then you can start getting into more serious stuff.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when i bought the truck the guy had just done a new pump

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah so which is the best pump to go with the air dog or fass or? and i know all about the dodge trannys i had a 00 reg cab short bed with the 360 and eventually after beating on it for a while i blew it and had to do the tranny and got it fully built so when the time comes it will deffinatley be pulled and built up, also i see alot of talk of silencer rings removed from the turbo whats the theory with that? thanks for all your help guys

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh and of course shes getting stacks

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Silencer ring is a metal plate thingy in the front of your turbo. Just pull off the intake tube and with a flathead screwdriver pull off the retaining ring then pull off the silencer ring. It will let you hear the turbo whine. As far as which is better, FASS or AirDog, I do believe the only fued going on longer is between the Hatfields and McCoys.

·
Future Fly Boy!
2,197 Posts
get an air dog 150 on there and call it good...you'll never worry about it again...get and edge juice w/ attitude also...power, plus you get all the gauges you need...rip out that silencer ring if you want more wistle, no other advantage but sound...open up the exhaust and call it good...plenty of power right there...start saving for a tranny...stock 47re's suck but a built one is the most beautiful thing you can have on your truck:shock:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts