Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am getting ready to start messing with my 93 again. i am needing to rebuild auto. tranny. would like to do a aftermarket tranny like a ats w/billet converter but don't want to speed $4000 for a tranny set-up. does anyone have any other ideas. truck is pretty much stock other than bully dog fuel pin and k&n filter. would like to put a bigger turbo and injectors. what all can i do to make this thing run like my 6.7 safely with out melting down. all help appreciated

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I paid $2300 for the Suncoast tranny and $550 for the Goerend converter. So only $3000...

That said, I think that there are a lot of small local guys that hang around the dirt track and drag strip that could build a just-as-good transmission for $1000 less, and if I did it again I would give a better look at Hughes and TCI for converters.

You're not gonna get much without a good tranny. But anything you do is going to make it meltable if you don't watch the pyro.

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,575 Posts
Find a good trans guy local. Throw a set of alto red clutch pack's into it. Use kelvar bands. throw a shift kit and a tight converter and don't worry about it for a while.

The part about making it run like your 6.7. That is going to cost quite a bit more. Your starting with half the HP. To bring it up to that HP you will not be towing most likely.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Find a good trans guy local. Throw a set of alto red clutch pack's into it. Use kelvar bands. throw a shift kit and a tight converter and don't worry about it for a while.
2nd Philip...
I asked several local Dodge owners and even a few chebby and ferd guys too and most came up with the same name...There's always one or two local shops that do a lot of truck and/or diesel work.
I went to PATC in La 'cause I new their products and work from some gassers when I lived down there.
They helped me select the pieces I needed, stayed under $900 - without TC, that's where the $$$ comes in. The shop said since I was supplying the pieces, the piece price was $300 to yank and install, $450 labor on the trans, 12 mos on THIER LABOR only...Trans breaks, they tear it down; they installed something wrong or adjusted something wrong - they pay; parts break - I pay...
Since I'm not going to be on the 1/4 mi or sled-pullin I figure it's workable...

·
Registered
570 Posts
I bought a 47rh with converter,starter, bell housing adapter, flywheel for 5 bills and all the parts from PATC will run me 1650 and I do the rebuild myself. I should be good to 1300 ft lbs. I chose their level 3 Viper kit.

·
Registered
655 Posts
If you haven't got newer exhaust and don't wanna pay the money for a whole new exhaust system, you could straight pipe it for cheap and easy and it'll give it some more, I was surprised the difference it made to mine, just chop off the muffler and weld a 3" pipe in that will fit, I felt like it accelerated a lot faster and just felt a lot smoother, it sounds great too! i can really hear the turbo now!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts