Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
It's got 12 Valves...
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I sold my truck on Friday night...wow that was fast. It was only up for a little over a week and I got a call Friday morning from a couple saying they wanted to buy it and they came and checked it out and bought it that same night :thud:.

Anyway now I get to buy another truck. At first I was just wanting to buy another 2nd Gen quad cab short bed 4x4 manual...but then after talking with my girlfriend she said why not spend a little more money and get a nicer 3rd gen? So now I do not know what to do. So I figured I would turn to all my Cummins fans for a little help on what to get. Either way it MUST be a quad cab short bed 4x4 manual...all required. So give me some opinions on what to do but another 2nd gen (I know what to look for in those). But if I buy a 3rd gen that will be a new world to me and I do not know what to look for...Thanks in advance :thumbsup.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
personally i would say the 3rd gen and get ya a true quad cab 4 doors are SOOO nice...

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,566 Posts
yep, 4 doors are awesome. i acquired a 04.5 lbqc a month or so ago and absolutely love it. no issues so far. has the nv5600 manny, and seems to be a solid truck. no oil use, decent gas mileage, and solid as a rock. believe i read on here where you may want to look out for the fuel delivery system, but havent gotten totally up to speed on the lingo around here.
either way, good luck with your search !

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
but it will be worth it in the long run... i hada 98 xtd cab before i got my 03 then now i have the 06 but when i went from the 98 xtd cab to the 03 quad cab I was astonished at how much nicer the true 4doors were just my .02

·
It's got 12 Valves...
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
but it will be worth it in the long run... i hada 98 xtd cab before i got my 03 then now i have the 06 but when i went from the 98 xtd cab to the 03 quad cab I was astonished at how much nicer the true 4doors were just my .02

Yeah if I get a 3rd Gen what kind of problems in what years should I be looking out for? I have heard that I think it is 03 that had injector problems...I know about VP and 53 block and everything that goes with the 2nd Gen...but not much about the 3rd Gen. Any help is appreciated :thumbsup.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
never had any probs outa my 03 but then again I only had it for 2 months before i ordered the mega

·
Diesel Junkie
4,683 Posts
If a family is in the future,and you plan to keep it a while,look at the mega cab. My 04.5 was a quad,and the space difference is huge.....might even say a mega difference....

ok.....that was cheesy.....:lol3:

·
It's got 12 Valves...
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If a family is in the future,and you plan to keep it a while,look at the mega cab. My 04.5 was a quad,and the space difference is huge.....might even say a mega difference....

ok.....that was cheesy.....:lol3:

:lol3: Thanks Tim. Yeah I would say a family will be in there somewhere down the road..and I plan on keeping my next one for a while :thumbsup.

·
texas
909 Posts
i would say a mega cab they are nice.
Am on the same boat as u, looking for another truck for show

·
It's got 12 Valves...
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I just talked with the bank and got pre-approved for a loan...now I just need to find a truck :w: :beer.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,566 Posts
Well I just talked with the bank and got pre-approved for a loan...now I just need to find a truck :w: :beer.
be sure you give the bank all the details on the truck once you pick one out.

i was pre approved for a $24k blanket loan through bank of america. they advised that this would cover any used car / truck i wanted. well, went and picked out the dodge i have in sig. called the bank to get the money transferred once we made the deal at the stealership, and they were like uhh, well, you have over 100k miles on here so your pre approval has fallen to $19k. keep in mind that i had driven 160 miles to get this truck, with no way back home besides calling my wife to come and get me. ended up paying cash and telling b of a to stick it in their arse.

thanks for listening. im still bitter :rof

·
It's got 12 Valves...
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

i was pre approved for a $24k blanket loan through bank of america. they advised that this would cover any used car / truck i wanted. well, went and picked out the dodge i have in sig. called the bank to get the money transferred once we made the deal at the stealership, and they were like uhh, well, you have over 100k miles on here so your pre approval has fallen to $19k. keep in mind that i had driven 160 miles to get this truck, with no way back home besides calling my wife to come and get me. ended up paying cash and telling b of a to stick it in their arse.

Wow..yeah that sucks. Yeah I will talk with them about it more...but I already told them what I was looking for in a truck and they did not seem to mind. But I will be sure to check it before I do anything and I am going to try and NOT buy from a stealorship if I can help it :thumbsup.

·
Registered
451 Posts

ill tell you what sorry to hijack the thread but b of a can go to a deep place where it is really hot, these guys are con artist and im not going into detail but never, i mean never, go into a home loan with these punks

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'd go with the 3rd gen and the QC. Lift pumps are the only regular problem, but chances are it would be replaced by now anyway. 04.5+ gets you some extra power and I think all the tranny's got the same HP ratings when they went to the 325 hp rating.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,566 Posts
ill tell you what sorry to hijack the thread but b of a can go to a deep place where it is really hot, these guys are con artist and im not going into detail but never, i mean never, go into a home loan with these punks
***mini thread hi jack ***
ive banked with them for 10 years and no issue. i only did online banking and what not. when i went to get this loan i gave the specs of the truck. no problem. told the lady i was getting a ride the next day to pick it up, got the name of my customer service assoc. who was going to do the wire xfer and all. faxed the purchase order, and she called back with that load of b.s. after i tore her another arse for jerking me around she said , well why dont you find something on the lot that we're agreeing to cover for you ? un effin believable, man. like said, i ended up paying cash and told her she could eat it.
after all those years of being a " loyal customer " this is what i get. most customer service has went the way of the dodo.

done.
:ah: :thud:

·
HI
3,440 Posts
go with a 3rd gen mega cab. the only problems i know of is the 03-05's had front end issues. u-joints and ball-joints. and like said before i have heard of lift pump issues.

·
It's got 12 Valves...
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry to hear about everyone's banking troubles with B of A...but I do not bank through them...never have and never will. I am very happy with my bank...bottom line. I understand you want to air your grievances but do it in chat or your own off topic thread not in mine please.

Back to the issue at hand. So I really am liking the idea of getting a QC/SB 4x4 Manual 3rd gen. What is the HP difference from 03-04-05? 05 is 325 stock? I will replace the lift pump as soon as I get the truck with something nice like an Air Dog/FASS or GDP and some gauges to monitor things unless the truck already comes with this. Thanks for the replies guys...keep the input coming :thumbsup.

·
HI
3,440 Posts
the 05 is 325hp stock and 610lbs tq. if i remember correctly , the 04.5 were 325hp and 600lbs tq. the 03's were around 305hp and 555lbs tq.

·
Banned
275 Posts
MEGA CAB w/ the 6.7L...I love mine!! I rode in one with the RIZE kit the other day too, that was a sweet truck too

1 - 20 of 25 Posts