Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am looking into replacing my tires on my 4 car trailer and wanted some input form you all!

The kaufman I have has 2 10k axels each with duallies and they have 235 85 16 tires now but only with a D rating I have read about G rated tires and then also E rated tires

what is your prefferance and why? I would love to not have any blow outs while towing :lol3:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I run the BFG Commercial tires on my g/n horse trailer. They have been great so far, and are wearing well. I pull a 4 horse Sundowner with a mid tack and extended dressing room, just to give you an idea. It isn't really heavy, but it ain't light. I went to these on a recommendation of a friend, and the Discount tire guy. After a blow out ripped my whole fender off.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is what I dont want to happen! so BFG's have been good to you??? I was looking at some 14 ply tires but they run about 150$ each and I need 8 total!

·
Registered
26 Posts
So far. I have about 1000 miles on them. Not a long term test I know, but so far so good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey man we haul wood to midland every weekend and the best tire i have found are Handcook....best tire out there...i would put them on anything

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bias ply vs Radial?

Hope I'm not hi-jacking this thread - I have heard many people say bias ply tires are old technology and only in use because they are cheap. Others say that radial tires do not have the sidewall strength and tend to sway under heavy loads therefore bias ply tires are the way to go with big trailers. What is your guy's take on bias ply vs. radial?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am wondering the same thing!!! I have a kaufman trailer that came with 10 ply tires and it had a blow out within the first 1000 miles! who knows could have been to hot or my driving lol!!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't have a big trailer, 7k bumper pull. I have however had over 9k sitting on the trailer, plus the trailer weight and I have Carlise on the front axle and I think they are Denman on the rear axle.
I haul scrap metal and good metal for the welding biz on that trailer. I have had no flats(knock on wood) from my many trips into the scrap yard.

I have E rated on my trailer....just because I do accidentally overload it at times :w::w:

What's your trailer rated at 20k? Then lets see, E rates are 26-2700 pounds on duals which means you'll have 5200 on each side(using the 2600 for safe numbers) and you'll have 10,400 per axle as far as your tires are rated.

You could go to a 12 ply not sure on the load rating tho.

here they say 3000 pounds on these goodyear marathon D rated tires. Not sure if that is the same with duals, they also only come in 235/80/16's.

Tire Specs for Goodyear Marathon Radial

heres one for carlisle they have the 85/16's. I have not had any problems out of them, some people hate them, I like the price and they handle what I do and more.

Carlisle Radial Trail Trailer Tires

·
Registered
100 Posts
what you need to be concerned about would be the ply rating on the tire such as E is a 10 ply rated tire, they should handle the weight you want to pull. However if you want to be sure about your tires on the trailer put on the 14 ply tires which are the kind of tires that most people try and run on their trailers that they use on a daily basis hauling, especially if d.o.t. starts looking close. Basically it comes to how much weight you carry on a daily basis , personally I would run the 14 ply tires.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts