Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just trying to get a set of tools together so that i can do 95% of the work on my car and truck. I have 200 or so piece craftsman mechanic tool kit with sockets metric and SAE reg and deep and also metric and SAE wrenches. What else should i have around? what kind of specialty tools are necessary or what kind of tools do you notice yourself using the most? (stubby ratches, flexible heads, etc)

Im not to concerned with brand just what you consider important.

:popcorn:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I just did a mini inventory of what i have...

190 pc craftsman mechanics set
another set of wrenches
ratchet wrenches
torx sockets
assorted screwdrives
assorted size/type pliers
oil filter wrench
clearance guages
ft/lb torque wrench
vice grips
assorted socket extensions
volt meter

right now on my list to buy...

socket adapters
long magnet
needle nose pliers (45*, 90*)
in/lb torque wrench
snap ring pliers

·
Registered
345 Posts
what kind of work are you planning on doing is this a tool box for home mechanics, keep in the truck?

if its for home/shop i would recommend air tools highly if a compressor is available, even at that a nice 19v drill with adapters for sockets/ screw driver bits. swivels for sockets are always nice.

i personally like have flex head ratchets around for tight spaces but also like the solid style as well just depends on the job. also have a breaker/cheater bar around in 3/8's and 1/2 always good

specialty tools also depends on what your looking to do as there are lists upon lists of possibility's

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what kind of work are you planning on doing is this a tool box for home mechanics, keep in the truck?

if its for home/shop i would recommend air tools highly if a compressor is available, even at that a nice 19v drill with adapters for sockets/ screw driver bits. swivels for sockets are always nice.

i personally like have flex head ratchets around for tight spaces but also like the solid style as well just depends on the job. also have a breaker/cheater bar around in 3/8's and 1/2 always good

specialty tools also depends on what your looking to do as there are lists upon lists of possibility's

Im about to buy a 98.5 24v and i just want to be able to do all my own work on it. So this is a home tool box, i can figure out what ill keep in the truck when i get it. I have an impact gun and ratchet but no air compressor yet, just a 5lb CO2 tank that works pretty well while it lasts(which is actually quite a while)

Ill add breaker bars to my list. Thanks!:beer

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
volt meter

·
Registered
345 Posts
well i would think that list of things will got you started off very well for being able to do most things to the truck at your house and then as you get into more modification/repair work you will come to find what and if any specialty tools you may need.

·
Texas Chapter President
837 Posts
Dang...Im lacking...I have 14 screwdrivers and an adjustable cresent wrench in my side door :D Ive come to learn i can do a lot with a screw driver!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Definitely get an air compressor for those pneumatic wrenches. It's priceless when you need it.

·
Registered
861 Posts
if you think you may need it, buy it :) thats my philosophy.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if you think you may need it, buy it :) thats my philosophy.
I would be broke!! :lol3:

WD-40 for everything that doesnt move and should and duct tape for everything that moves and shouldnt!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts