Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the group here. I have a 2007.5 2500 that is completely stock with 120000 miles. I keep hearing about all the upgrades that can be done to get real performance out of these things. My question is if I had to do one upgrade first, which one should it be & how much money should I expect it to cost? I tow a trailer every day & feel that my truck is under powered.

·
Registered
282 Posts
You need to do the deletes. How you decide to do them depends on how much coin you wanna spend. Get in contact with one of the vendors on here like James @ rollin smoke diesel or Richard @ glacier diesel and they can help you out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
First off....Welcome to the site!!

The first thing I would recommend is deleting your EGR cooler , unplugging your EGR valve and deleting your DPF filter .

To accomplish this you need to buy an EGR delete kit . An exhaust system wether it be from the turbo back or just a pipe that fits where the DPF used to be . Also , to do these things you will need something to "fool" the computer because all these items have sensors which when removed will throw codes and you will get a check engine light . To fool the computer you can buy an aftermarket tuner or "sims" which are resistors which fit into the stock wire harness to eliminate a code .

I recommend Rollin Smoke Diesel for all you needs . Great place to deal with .

Reactions: Ron48

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
First off....Welcome to the site!!

The first thing I would recommend is deleting your EGR cooler , unplugging your EGR valve and deleting your DPF filter .

To accomplish this you need to buy an EGR delete kit . An exhaust system wether it be from the turbo back or just a pipe that fits where the DPF used to be . Also , to do these things you will need something to "fool" the computer because all these items have sensors which when removed will throw codes and you will get a check engine light . To fool the computer you can buy an aftermarket tuner or "sims" which are resistors which fit into the stock wire harness to eliminate a code .

I recommend Rollin Smoke Diesel for all you needs . Great place to deal with .
I have a question about the EGR part. If I or the OP were using one of the H&S tuners, which shuts off the EGR all together, we wouldn't have to remove the EGR system at all. Just replace the DPF with a new exhaust part and add the tuner, right?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a question about the EGR part. If I or the OP were using one of the H&S tuners, which shuts off the EGR all together, we wouldn't have to remove the EGR system at all. Just replace the DPF with a new exhaust part and add the tuner, right?
I asked this to James @ RSD. Technically the answer is yes but He still recommended removing the EGR valve on the intake horn. I dunno why...must get some leak by with tthe crossover tube still present.

Reactions: aceracer24

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I asked this to James @ RSD. Technically the answer is yes but He still recommended removing the EGR valve on the intake horn. I dunno why...must get some leak by with tthe crossover tube still present.
Not to mention the risk of cracking the cooler and having coolant injected into intake. If you delete, remove it all, cooler,EGR valve and DPF.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Burly, you and I are in the exact same boat. I have never even driven the truck I just purchased. I bought it on a whim! LOL. A buddy of mine said he loved his Dodge and more so the "Cummins", so I said hell with it and just bought a 09 3500 SRW on line. The only thing I know mine has is a AFE intake and Edge Revolution programmer, other than that...Lets keep this tread going...I need info too...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
EGR/cooler delete and DPF delete. You'll need a programmer to do it and H&S or Smarty will disable the emissions completely so they are the most popular choices. An Edge works as well with exhaust sims but it only clears the codes so you don't get the check engine light, it doesn't disable the emissions system.
I run an Edge w/ attitude and an MP-8 and am quite happy with that stack but I haven't tried either of the other programmers so I can't speak for them.
There are tons of threads on here about performance and upgrades so do the research and figure out what suits your needs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for help. I have found tons of info in other threads but this really helps as well. Now I just have to scrape up the cash.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I asked the same question about needing to do the actual egr/cooler delete since the tuners will shut them off. the answer is yes, once your truck builds a certain amount of boost the butterfly valve will open up from pressure, which will in turn still be putting the exhaust gas back into the engine. $95 from rollinsmokediesel and you can delete the egr/cooler. small price for saving your engine IMO. I also agree with everyone, do the dpf delete and get a good tuner, I love my xrt pro.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My question is if I'm getting 17 mpg now and I do all the egr cooler,egr,dpf delete's what kind of mpg can be expected? I am interested in the most mpg I can achieve and not so much blowing black smoke. if you know what I mean

Next question is...I got a life time power-train warranty with this truck if I don't do no mod's to it and keep it all stock and change the oil and rotate the tires every 5k miles, with that being said would you mess with the truck and take a chance and not worry about the warranty?

2009 big horn 2500 4x4 4-door 6.7 cummins, auto and all stock

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
From what I have gathered, 4-5MPGs more is common. The deletes are the most important...if you want a bit more breathing for a few more horses, intake and exhaust. The warranty issue needs to be discussed with your local stealership. See how "cool" they are with the list of mods you have listed here.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I asked the same question about needing to do the actual egr/cooler delete since the tuners will shut them off. the answer is yes, once your truck builds a certain amount of boost the butterfly valve will open up from pressure, which will in turn still be putting the exhaust gas back into the engine. $95 from rollinsmokediesel and you can delete the egr/cooler. small price for saving your engine IMO. I also agree with everyone, do the dpf delete and get a good tuner, I love my xrt pro.
Might be a silly question but, if the egr butterfly valve is being used to release excess boost pressure, what prevents over boost with the egr deletes done?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a Smarty J-67 jr POD for mine. Right now I will run with all the stock crap to see what kind of mileage I will get.
Does anyone know if you could run all the deletes with the Smarty j-67 tuner?
That's my future plan.
I am running 35" Nitto Grapplers and my speedo is reading 9 KPH slower than my GPS. In theory, taller tires means you are covering more ground than stock tires at a lower RPM. Fuel mileage should be better!! I would think.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
From my understanding, the smarty will do all the deletes and in addition, it will also adjust your speedo for different size tires.

Good luck and have fun!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts