Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

What RPM's are you shifting at with the G56?

13902 Views 39 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  greengrizz87
I was curious what RPM everyone was shifting at just daily driving with the G56? Is there a sweet spot to shift for smoothness and mileage? Does it like the higher RPM's around 2500 or lower around 2000?
Thanks
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
I haven't noticed any difference between where to shift, I just normally go between 1500 and 2000 for normal driving.

· Registered
356 Posts
The service manual (or was it owner's manual?) states something about the engine being able to run at peak torque at 100% load for an unlimited amount of time, but had some very specific words for 100% load at less than peak torque being undesirable. I'll see if I can find it.

· Registered
621 Posts
mine is happy around 2-2200 rpm

The engine dont mind 1400 but the tranny might grind every now and then shifting that early

· Registered
119 Posts
When you can shift it without the clutch is always a good sign...
A good friend of mine who is factory trained tech told me these trannys aren't meant to be shifted w/out clutch like you can is a class 8 truck. I try and refrain from it.

· Registered
1,835 Posts
That's me. With my Smarty it's got so much low end power,that seems right. If I extend the rpm's way up there it results in blacking out anything behind me.
Same with mine it smokes in 3rd and 4th if I shift above 1700. 1400-1700 is my shifting range. Now if I'm getting on the Interstate I'll shift out of 5th at 1800-2000. No coal.

· Registered
12,293 Posts
Same with mine it smokes in 3rd and 4th if I shift above 1700. 1400-1700 is my shifting range. Now if I'm getting on the Interstate I'll shift out of 5th at 1800-2000. No coal.
I'm assuming the reason for the high rpm coal is too small a turbo. My friend gets tired of the smoke deal,and will unload his Smarty and just use his Edge w/o Monitor. Runs hotter,less down low power but way more mid and high throttle power. Nowhere near the smoke as Smarty also in any rpm or load situation.

· Registered
621 Posts
mine was that way with the tiny exhaust housing of the stock turbo, especially after i swapped cams. Now that I have a normal turbo it drives like a normal truck

· Registered
1,835 Posts
I'm assuming the high rpm coal is too small a turbo. My friend gets tired of the smoke deal,and will unload his Smarty and just use his Edge w/o Monitor. Runs hotter,less down low power but way more mid and high throttle power. Nowhere near the smoke as Smarty also in any rpm or load situation.
Well my turbo is probly the same one as yours. If I'm running freeway speed and have to roll into the throttle to change lanes it will smoke then too.

I use my truck as my daily driver and I try to get it out and run it hard twice a week or so to clear the soot out. I'll get it up to 85-90mph. Does that help?

· Registered
12,293 Posts
Moparman,since you're in Texas,coudn't you just remove your cat and install a test pipe(temporarily of course)? With my old 98.5 w/Mach 1.6's and Edge EZ I could smoke pretty good but like this boy. Same load,gears and a DTT on the old one.

· Registered
1,835 Posts
Moparman,since you're in Texas,coudn't you just remove your cat and install a test pipe(temporarily of course)? With my old 98.5 w/Mach 1.6's and Edge EZ I could smoke pretty good but like this boy. Same load,gears and a DTT on the old one.
I didn't know my truck had a catalytic converter on it. :confused013:

· Registered
896 Posts
i usually shift mine around 1800-1900...but i typically drive mine like an old man (staying under 5-6 lbs of boost). but i do stretch her legs on occasion. :party018:

· Premium Member
2,608 Posts
I didn't know my truck had a catalytic converter on it. :confused013:
Yes every 04.5 and on diesel truck has a cat from the factory. I am in TX and I just removed mine with a cat back. No problems yet from the cops. Our trucks do not require emissions(at least where I am) and is just a safety test. I am sure some places are more strict than others.

· Registered
621 Posts
Yes every 04.5 and on diesel truck has a cat from the factory. I am in TX and I just removed mine with a cat back. No problems yet from the cops. Our trucks do not require emissions(at least where I am) and is just a safety test. I am sure some places are more strict than others.
You mean your testing your cat right?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.