Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an '07 Dodge 3/4 ton, cummins, 6spd manual transmission, 3.73 alxe. I will be towing a 6,000 lb trailer through Denver today. I am wondering what the ideal speed/RPM and transmission gear would be. Does it matter if I'm in overdrive (6th gear) versus staying in 5th? I pulled this trailer through some hills in NM, AZ & So. CA with it in overdrive over the course of about a 1-10 mile climb and it did fine; the coolant temp stayed below 200 degrees and the engine didn't seem strained in 6th gear doing 60-70 mph. I don't have a trans temp gauge (only stock gauges) so I just want to be safe. Would I be smarter staying out of overdrive and keeping the RPM's under 2,000 while climbing even though the trailer is only 6k? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I have an '07 Dodge 3/4 ton, cummins, 6spd manual transmission, 3.73 alxe. I will be towing a 6,000 lb trailer through Denver today. I am wondering what the ideal speed/RPM and transmission gear would be. Does it matter if I'm in overdrive (6th gear) versus staying in 5th? I pulled this trailer through some hills in NM, AZ & So. CA with it in overdrive over the course of about a 1-10 mile climb and it did fine; the coolant temp stayed below 200 degrees and the engine didn't seem strained in 6th gear doing 60-70 mph. I don't have a trans temp gauge (only stock gauges) so I just want to be safe. Would I be smarter staying out of overdrive and keeping the RPM's under 2,000 while climbing even though the trailer is only 6k? Thanks! -Todd
i think that i would get out of the overdrive for the fact of kickin' in and out it may and it may not...if it does yur clutches and internal will not like it..you know that a diesel is made to pull...ain't gunna hurt that engine..just tranny!:thumbsup

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would say 6th is fine. If you start to lug a bit then you know that you need to be in 5th. 6000 lbs truck shouldnt bat an eye. :thumbsup

·
Registered
231 Posts
6th gear, between 1800-2100. Dont shift to 5th unless you are below 1800RPM and it is a big hill (doubtfull you will have to).

·
Registered
882 Posts
i think that i would get out of the overdrive for the fact of kickin' in and out it may and it may not...if it does yur clutches and internal will not like it..you know that a diesel is made to pull...ain't gunna hurt that engine..just tranny!:thumbsup

DNA...manual trans.

I agree with the others I run @ 2k, if it drops much below 1800 or the temps start rising I will grab 5th and back off. Most of the time I just leave the cruise set and motor on up:peelout, got to love the almighty Cummins:woot:.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I pull my fifth wheel all the time in 6th gear. Its close to 11,000lbs. You do need to remember that 6th gear is O/D and isn't as strong as 5th (direct)

IMO as long as the truck isn't straining in 6th its ok to pull with 6th.

In 6th gear,the sweet spot is 65mph and about 2100rpm or so. It pulls well there.

I can pull most interstate hills and never leave 6th. Occasionally I'll have to grab 5th on a longer hill.

Pulling the passes in Washington,I'm in 5th more than 6th.

Don't be afraid of running higher rpm if needed. The Cummins will run at 3000rpm for years.

·
Banned
2,613 Posts
have a safe trip my friend I would tell you to use sixth gear but I ONLY HAVE 5 :thud:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi Guys
I live in Pa in the middle of all the mountains My small gooseneck with a hot rod of any size is around 5500 to 6000 and my 2004.5 2500 crew cab has 411's and walks over the fords :eek: I meen the hills at 65 to 70 with out even trying. I know it's not even work for that Cummins. It takes my 32 foot closed trailer the same way. I know worse than a proud Dad.... :D

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
If you can't accelerate when pushing the accelerator down farther, you are lugging the engine. You can lug the engine at 2,500RPM or at 1,200RPM.

If you can't accelerate, drop a gear.

I pull my 19K trailer at 1,200RPM in 2nd gear all the time on ranch roads, and at times the engine works hard, but whenever I push the throttle down, it can accelerate, however, at 1,800RPM on the highway in 6th gear, the truck won't accelerate. That's Cummins definition of "lugged".

A 6K trailer is nothing, and you should be able to stay in O.D. at all times on the highway... If you foot is on the floor, and the truck won't accelrate, drop a gear. Also, don't be afraid to run 210* water temp. These motor's warm up, and the fan kicks in. They aren't overheating, but they can run warm. Just let 'er ride.

Merrick

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Made the trip fine

Thanks for all the advice. I made it through to Denver in 6th the whole way without any troubles.

I have learned however, that leaf spring axles are a horrible choice for a car hauler; way too much bouncing on rough roads. Luckily this one was loaned to me. When I buy a car hauler, I will definitely be getting torsion axles!

·
texas
909 Posts
In my truck it ran at 55-65 mph up a steep ace hill fully loaded truck and a 35ft travel trailer
i was crossing from yuma to cali going to san diego i beleive highest elavation is like 4,000ft

·
Registered
245 Posts
also keepin an eye on your EGT's is a good idea. The temp will tell if you need to drop a gear and get some air flowing.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
Should be fine in 6th as others have said. Below 1800 drop a gear.

·
Registered
87 Posts
od pulling

keep an eye on you egts. pulling the cajon pass at 70 mph with a 8000 pound trailer in 6th gear will put your egts to high . :peelout slow down and get an egt gauge

1 - 15 of 15 Posts