Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 3500 non HO

I have a momentum 349m dry 13,500, loaded 16,500. What rpm is good for highway?

On my Duramax I would keep it around 2100-2400 highway speed. See if that would be around the same on this truck?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just put mine in tow/haul, and let the computer figure it out for the speed I am doing. The software in the tranny will pick the gear it wants depending on the loads and RPM's. Did that with my Duramax also, and never had a problem.

The truck was designed and tested to tow heavy with it just in drive and the tow/haul mode.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lot of "experts" saying don't let it in 6th, it will hurt it...etc. Maybe true, maybe not, but when you put it into tow/haul, you are telling the truck you are towing (and it changes the shift points), and it doesn't know if it is 1K lbs, or 30K lbs, it is the same program. If they thought that going into 6th would hurt the tranny, I figure they would lock it out when you put it in the tow/haul mode.

Just to add, you can get the truck just right in speed/RPM and the road is going up and down to where the truck is shifting a lot. In that situation, I lock out the higher gear. But I wait until I am in that situation, and when I know I don't need to anymore, unlock the higher gear.

I know people locking out gears when going downhill, and if the EB wasn't so effective, maybe I would do that if needed. A gas engine, maybe, the Cummins, nope.

·
Registered
12,837 Posts
I have a momentum 349m dry 13,500, loaded 16,500. What rpm is good for highway?
Your engine doesn't know or care what it is that is putting up the resistance.
Mine likes 2,000 rpm, and that's about 80 mph, which means the wind resistance is more influential than the weight.

Each vehicle is different, as is each driver, so you'll have to get a feel for what your engine likes, then hopefully that rpm will match the speed you like.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I like to lock out 6th when towing our 5 horse, which varies from 6 to 10,000 pounds but admittedly it is ver sleek.

When hauling round bales, I was scaled around 33,000 pounds combined, I run in 4th and keep the revs up north of 2000. Seems happy.
This is with 3.42 gears and the Aisin.

·
Registered
75 Posts
342 Gears in 3500?I don't think so.Should be 373,or 410.And can only get Aisin in 3500 HO.

·
Registered
12,837 Posts
Lots of 3500s out there with 3.42s.
And before you say "But this is in the Gen 5 section!", let me point out that the Gen 5 doesn't exist yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
3500 DRW HO/Aisin with 4.10s here. When dragging my 349M, I lock out 6th when i'm doing a lot of larger grades in the mountains to avoid hard downshifts, but let it do it's own thing in light hills and flatlands.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I pull my 5th wheel at 15.5k at 75mph and 1,800 rpms in 6th gear. Have done a few 1,000 mile trips and let the truck do it’s thing. My trailer tires are speed rated for 75 so that’s my limiting factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would recommend keeping the RPMs over 1700.
Terrain and speed plays a major role in what gear to keep it in or out of.
My 3500 with 3.42 gears could handle heavy loads at 67 MPH in Texas flat lands and 6th gear would be fine.
On my move to Alaska and traveling through mountains it would hold 6th gear while climbing and be at 1500 RPM but the EGTs would start climbing fast until I locked out 6th.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts