Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a new purchase. Undecided if I can go with a SRW or need a DRW. I will be hauling hay occasionally on a 32 foot gooseneck and could reach 30,000 lbs. I'm concerned with having the outer fender being in the way and would like to stay SRW but don't know if it will handle the tongue weight. Looking for advise.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Being in the way of what?
Being in the way of the trailer when making hard turns would be my assumption. Previous owner of my truck did that once (well twice if you count the bashed in tailgate from backing up and not opening the tailgate). Don't think I've seen a SRW have the cargo/towing capacity you're looking for. Myself with that much on there (even occasionally) I'd still opt for the DRW and plan accordingly.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Being in the way of the trailer when making hard turns would be my assumption.
I think that has more to do with trailer design and driving ability. I used to pull a 46' Featherlite trailer with my DRW, and never had any issues with the fenders being in the way.

Regardless, you will have to have DRW for towing a 32' gooseneck loaded with up to 30K lbs. SRW does not have the towing or payload capacity for those weights, and you will want DRW for better tracking.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will be hauling out of the field mostly. My concern is going through gates and trees. Also parking at the store. I currently have two 2500's and one old one ton I don't use. The SWR is rated at 24000 where the DRW is at around 32000 pound towing. The tongue weight is 4400 vs 3300. I may be off on the figures.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Personally, I would go with DRW. No question. But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
18,745 Posts
I will be hauling out of the field mostly. My concern is going through gates and trees. Also parking at the store.
Not that I understand how the trailer and rear fenders could possibly interact, but anyway, your trailer will be wider than the dually no matter what.
Maybe you should consider a cab and chassis instead? They're slightly narrower, and a flatbed won't easily get damaged by gates or trees.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I can sum my issue up in a few words. My wife will be driving the truck and trailer while I'm on the tractor. She already hit the gate post with the trailer. I looked into the cab and chassis but rather have a bed than a flat bed. I think with all the responses, I will be going with the DRW 4.10 axle and retrain the wife. ( Please don't tell her what I said) Thank you to all for the responses.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Then I would look at a cab and chassis as @Jimmy N. mentioned.

Reactions: 09W3500

·
Registered
102 Posts
IMHO, get a 3500 DRW NOT a SRW. My 2019 SRW rides like an Ole Buckboard wagon with bent springs! It will beat your back and rattle your teeth out. I even have played with air pressure in the tires to going to ALT Height on the air ride assist. LOL

·
Registered
18,745 Posts
My 2019 SRW rides like an Ole Buckboard wagon with bent springs! It will beat your back and rattle your teeth out. I even have played with air pressure in the tires to going to ALT Height on the air ride assist. LOL
Meanwhile, our '19, also a crew cab longbed SRW, rides really nicely. Whether in Alt. ride height or not.
And that's with the rear tires at a higher pressure than they should be at, in case the horse trailer has to be used now.

Also, I sure don't understand how DRWs would make anything ride better, all other things being equal.
Not that I have any complaints about how my 3500 C&C DRW rides.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
If you have to respect the weight police... I would get the DRW just to be safe. Nothing says you can't switch it to SRW after. Just make sure you choose strong enough tires.

·
Registered
224 Posts
30k lbs to tow? I can't believe were even having this convo. DRW.

Reactions: Balvert
1 - 15 of 15 Posts