Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Gone Fishin'
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04.5 with gauges and I just replaced all the injectors, now I think its safe to get a programer/chip.
I was looking at the Smarty Jr. and Predator just cause their cheap and both can read codes; I was just wondering what you guys thought about both of them, what are their pros and cons, and I dont want any thing that will mess with my ECM or turn any warning lights on.

· Registered
1,487 Posts
They are both good tuners depends on what you want to do with your truck. The predator is a good tuner I have one and love it. Both of these tuners are good for mileage and towing. If you are looking for big power to race the predator might be a better way to go you can download the RKL tune it hauls a$$. I might be wrong but I think the smarty jr's highest setting is 100hp if you are looking for big power to race with the Smarty Sr might be a better route if you want Smarty. I am not sure if Smarty Jr has higher horse power tunes you can down load but I know Smarty Sr does. Lots of people like smarty and for good reasons they are a great tuner and have great customer service. I have had no problems with my diablo predator and I like the all around power & mileage I get with it especially for the price (that is the decision maker for alot of people). With either of these tuners you are getting good quality you really cant go wrong just depends on what you want to do. Im sure others that know more will chime in but also search both tuners on the forum there are lots of posts about both read what others have to say that always helps me when trying to decide things about my truck LOL good luck

· Gone Fishin'
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will either of those cause high EGT's and how easy is it to read codes on both of them?

· Registered
288 Posts
I would say Smarty Sr or the Predator if those are the two you want. I'd go with the higher HP ratings, I just got a PMT that I bought on here to upgrade from my current setup, just thirsty for more HP...do it once, get the higher amount of power, then do your best to exercise self discipline when using it...lol...:thumbsup:

· Gone Fishin'
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
with the smarty jr. on HP lvl 100 is it safe to keep it their and can you really feel the extra power with just the Jr.?

· Registered
75 Posts
I would recommend the diablo. my cousin has an 06 cummins with banks monster exhaust, a banks intercooler, and the diablo predator, and it runs low 13's in the quarter-mile. Smarty's are also great programmers, but idk about the juniors, idk how well they perform. But if your looking for a great programmer for a really low price, the diablo predator is the way to go

· Registered
1,704 Posts
Yes I run the 100hp tune all the time and yes you will know it is there. I dyno'd 414 hp with the Jr and stacks, stock intake, stock cat.

· Registered
538 Posts
The Jr is safe max 1200F on tow. I saw a max of 1250 on perf towing. The Jr won't melt things down and has POD if you want that adjustability.

· Registered
1,487 Posts
will either of those cause high EGT's and how easy is it to read codes on both of them?
Lots of people say that the predator runs hot I personally have never had a problem with mine running hot with the RKL tune nor have I ever had them go to high when pulling I have never had my EGT's go over 1300 when towing.A Friend of mine has a smarty on his 2003 with the TNT tune and I ran it on my truck one night for fun and the EGT's were the same as when I run my Predator. I dont know about the smarty jr but reading codes on my predator is easy you just plug it in and choose the option to read codes and they pop right up on the screen.

· Gone Fishin'
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
with the Smarty Jr. do you download it to the truck then take it off or does it stay attached so you can change settings while driving?

· Registered
53 Posts
Don't mean to hijack, but anyone know how much tq one can expect from the smarty jr or predator on a stock 6spd truck? I am in the market for one of these myself. Thanks

· Registered
1,487 Posts
Don't mean to hijack, but anyone know how much tq one can expect from the smarty jr or predator on a stock 6spd truck? I am in the market for one of these myself. Thanks
For the predator the numbers are like this:
Tow 60hp 120ft/lb torque
Economy 100hp 170ft/lb torque
Extreme 160hp 230 ft/lb torque
I dont know what the torque ratings for smarty jr are but the horse power is 40/70/100.
I do know that on the 2003's and early 2004's the predator runs great and gets good mileage. My first cummins was a 2003 6speed all stock except exhaust and a modified air box and a predator that truck ran awesome (until I hit an Elk LOL). The only problem I had is that the stock clutch would slip if I turned it to extreme. I mostly ran it on economy the truck got good mileage and the power was there when I needed it. I have had no dealings with Smarty Jr but I have friends that run Smarty Sr and they really like them and the customer service from smarty is top notch I think either way you are getting a good tuner just comes down to personal opinion and how much you have to spend good luck:thumbsup:

· Gone Fishin'
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what lvl do you guys generaly run your smartys on?

· Registered
597 Posts
Smarty jr or Sr. the predator seems to raise egts more

· Gone Fishin'
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
just more power when driving around town.

· Tennesse Chapter President
1,798 Posts
On my 03 SO 5speed, with just a cold air intake, and straight pipe with stacks, on the Extreme tune I dyno'd 375hp/ 782lbs tq.

Reactions: fouled_up
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.