Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 dually and I was curious to see every single tip, trick, pump mod, injector size for MPG's/ From motor oil, is Amsoil really worth? Most important is the Cold Air Intake, filters and exhaust. This is an auto, 325horse model, 4 dr
Thanks for the help:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Well my edge w/attitude gave me almost +2 mpg BUT thats only if you keep your foot outa it and keep your RPM's down you can see an increase in MPG....

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Keep the filters clean, a light right foot and a conservative tuner. I get the best fuel economy with my juice on 3/1 with my TS ramifier on.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I agree with rufushusky. I got the SMARTY REVO tune and I'm trying different settings. So far I just drove 615 miles and still have a quarter tank left. That was about 90% highway and 10% stop and go and thats good for my truck.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Picked up 2mpg with manual hubs. As you know a tuner helps but only if you keep our foot out of it most of the time. :D I keep my air filter vacuumed off and change the fuel filter every 5k miles. They say change fuel filters every 15K but a dirty one will hurt your economy and I've had to change them out twice in one day on my big truck before. Of course a light foot on the go-pedal doesn't hurt. Never got any gains from all that other stuff - better intake, exhaust - I guess results vary there but from my experience that seems to be nothing more than advertising hype..

·
Registered
210 Posts
I think manual hubs is a great thing to do for fuel economy. The only reason I haven't done it is because I have a new wife, new baby and new bills = NO MONEY lol

·
Registered
476 Posts
I hear ya. My life pretty much got turned upside down over the weekend. I had a few more mods planned to finish up my truck that're on hold indefinitely now... It's a good thing I picked up an airdog around christmas cause if I hadn't then there's no way I could now. That's the last upgrade I'll be doing for some time... :(

·
Registered
383 Posts
i agree with the programmers boosting mpg but you have to keep your foot out of it to a certain extent
these motors being throttled by fuel function best at the highest rpm attainable within the powerband at a given speed
in laymans terms, 55mph at 2300 rpm in 5th will probably give better mpg pulling a load than 6th gear and 1600 rpm
unloaded, id say even milage, leaning towards the 5th gear still
when we go above 23-2400 rpm, milage drops off
but at 1500 rpm we need more fuel to make the same hp as 2300 rpm because we have less air period
it is pretty hard to have it on high setting and keep foot out of it tho =)

·
Registered
177 Posts
I did the timing ring/tone ring mod and picked up 4mpg. I am sure that would help you out and it was free. You may not see the results I did I was getting pretty bad milage out of mine when I did it but I will tell you it will help out.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
when empty i get far better mpg running around 15-1600 rpm (auto). surprisingly to me i picked up a few mpg going from a dropin K&N to a aem hd. the trick is having a light foot when accelerating, getting her into high gear and letting the low end 6cyl. torque work. of course alot of other variables too.. tires, etc

·
Registered
87 Posts
Putting a FASS fuel pump and running dzl pep additive helped me get better fuel milage:hyper:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I did the timing ring/tone ring mod and picked up 4mpg. I am sure that would help you out and it was free. You may not see the results I did I was getting pretty bad milage out of mine when I did it but I will tell you it will help out.
Whats the timing ring/tone ring:confused:

·
Registered
129 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
link doesnt work
huh....well it is a link to the diesel bombers website with pics and how to

so put between the .. in that link above.

I tried fixing it, but it keeps taking it out.

or just google tone ring mod, it is the 5th link

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
You can also buy the Rokktech and put it on your truck to change the timing. BTW it's on the lower 1/2 of the web page: Performance items

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I have a scorpion module that goes from 30-65hp and it has helped with mileage but, that is all. I tow alot, I have a 38'
5ver and this is where I am looking to improve my mileage most. You gotta give her gas to get going I can't stand being one of those who take off so slow that the people behind you think your hunting for the right gear. I was looking into air intakes not just a filter. I'll have to look at what this tone ring is about.

·
Registered
674 Posts
i picked up 5mpg by changing my 4.10 gears to 3.73. and bigger tires seem to help more than hurt imo (keep rpms down) i can drive all day under 2000 rpms that seems to make a difference for me

1 - 20 of 26 Posts