Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shoes and brake cylinders? Do I need new drums as well? I’ve got the factory manual on the way. Any other manuals or videos that would help?

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
Shoes and brake cylinders? Do I need new drums as well? I’ve got the factory manual on the way. Any other manuals or videos that would help?
Don’t need anything, the spring kit and drums and wheel cylinders all will work just fine. Now it is recommended to turn or replace the drums if they have a wear lip and you should upgrade to the larger brake cylinders. You can order them for a 1 ton first gen or a mid 70s 1 ton chev (the chev ones are even bigger and direct bolt in but you have to bend the brake line).

·
Registered
368 Posts
You dont need new drums, the wider pads will just be engaging a little more of the drum you already have. Believe the 250 and 350 used the same Dana 70 axle and drums.

The Chevy 1 1/8th wheel cylinders drop right in but you will have to slightly bend the end of your brake tubing to get the threads to line up. I thing i did it by hand.

While you have to bleed the rear brakes anyways now is a PERFECT time to bypass the ABS valve. Just need a couple fittings and a short section of tubing. It is well worth the time.

After doing the 3" pads, wheel cylinders and abs delete my truck stops much better and kinda level. You can feel the rears working which prevents some nosedive under hard braking.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Everyone does understand that the w350 wheel cylinders are 1-1/8", so no benefit to using a GM version? The w350 are a direct replacement.

I know the w350 wheel cylinders I used measured 1-1/8" because I measured them with a dial caliper.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
Everyone does understand that the w350 wheel cylinders are 1-1/8", so no benefit to using a GM version? The w350 are a direct replacement.

I know the w350 wheel cylinders I used measured 1-1/8" because I measured them with a dial caliper.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
1 ton chev wheel cylinders are 1 3/16 that’s what I’m running.

·
Registered
11,376 Posts
I know my 1997 3500 has a lot better braking with the Napa part# 37337 chevrolet 1 ton wheel cylinders.
It nosedived before. Now it does not.

I can not say how it works in a 1st gen. You can try it and go smaller if needed.
I would not go back to stock size on my 2nd gen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts