Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i picked up some nerf bars that are painted a light color. They need sanded and gonna paint them black. I cant remember the order in which to apply. I think it goes sealer primer then paint then clear coat but i cant remember, please remind me! While i have the black paint in my gun im gonna strip my grill and paint it, not sure the route to take on that though

·
Registered
341 Posts
1). Primer - Primers are typically applied over bare metal or substrates once the metal has been properly prepared.

2). Sealer- It is intended to form an even barrier between any undercoats and repair work previously applied and the top coat (paint), it seals.

·
Registered
29 Posts
just scuff it with a scotch brite red and spray the sealer forget the primer just spray sealer then paint then clear if you spray primer it will have to be sanded to so skip that process hope this helps

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
If you want it to stay on use epoxy prime first. Then prime, color and clear.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
Epoxy prime dries like a rock. Its almost unsandable when cured. Thats the reason you prime over it. The prime gives you a sanding surface to fix any imperfections.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts