Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused013:I have a 2002 dodge and have been using Amsoil for a couple of years now using there dual bypass system .
My question is I really don't drive my truck as much as I would like and using Amsoil an oil change is about $130 per oil change with new filters But I only drive my truck 5k to 7k a year so I'm changing once a year not real cost effective.
Should I go back to regular Diesel oil and and schedule and if so which brand should I use

· Premium Member
11,940 Posts
With that kind of milage accumulation, I recomend taking off the dual bypass system. Continue to use syn oil only more realistically priced at about $20 a gallon. Now three gallons of oil and a regular filter are about $70 a year. It does get cold where you're at is reason for staying with syn oil. Sell your bypass to someone that needs bragging rights and you have two years of free changes. You could go to Rotella, Valvoline, or other quality regular oils and save another $25 if you like. How much difference will you see in performance, life, or use is nadda, zippo, none, no matter what others scream and say. Remember cost is bragging rights.................There are too many operators using standard products with a gazillion miles on them to counter the nay sayers.

· Registered
231 Posts
I use 15W40... Rotella, heavy duty diesel truck oil. Corse I pull traliers all the time with mine, and work in rougher farm conditions but that is the best that I have found for me...mine is a 98.5 3500, one in my sig...

· Registered
650 Posts
:confused013:I have a 2002 dodge and have been using Amsoil for a couple of years now using there dual bypass system .
My question is I really don't drive my truck as much as I would like and using Amsoil an oil change is about $130 per oil change with new filters But I only drive my truck 5k to 7k a year so I'm changing once a year not real cost effective.
Should I go back to regular Diesel oil and and schedule and if so which brand should I use
For about $25, why don't you do an UOA? They would tell you exactly what your oil & filter are up to and if any or all need changing. I think that you would find that the answer would be very economical.

· Registered
250 Posts
ive always used conventional rotella, all year long, would it be a good idea to switch to synthetic at 170k?

i live in boston

· Registered
1,207 Posts
don't be fooled by the synthetic claims, many people use regular oil with no problems at all, its just another snake oil sales scheme. and if you put synthetic oil in an older engine you gonna find every oil leak that there is. I know a guy that has a heavily moddified truck that is ran balls to the walls, that has over 250,000 miles on it and he runs regular oil in it. He has never had anything internally go wrong either.

· Registered
425 Posts
I use delo 400 15/40 in mine no additives. Zero problems at 200k. Also ran delo 400 in c-12 cat for 775k. no problems. j.m.o.

· Registered
250 Posts
id like to stick with conventional if it makes sense to do so, good and cheap :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.