Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at either a set of 100hp injectors or a turbo ive called a couple places and they said do the turbo first. what would u guys suggest? please help.

·
Registered
148 Posts
yup, cool down the egt's a little, then you can throw on some new sticks later.

remeber, if you are runnin more boost, it is advisable to have haed studs. so while you are putting on the turbo, you might as well get a set of them to go with it. then you should be able to hold big boost

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
i'd wait and do it all at once. you need to pull the head to do the studs which means you need to pull the injectors and the exhaust manifold and the turbo. while the turbo is off switch it out and while the injectors are out switch them out. the head job is not that hard to do with a couple buddies for help. the machine shop downtime is what sucks. then once it's back together heat it up re-tourqe then...........:peelout

·
Diesel South
1,545 Posts
i would eithere get a turbo and figure out which sticks your gonna have in mind with the turbo or vice versa! buy once and save money talk to the folks where yur gonna buy and ask them about sticks to match your turbo needs

·
Registered
435 Posts
i'd wait and do it all at once. you need to pull the head to do the studs which means you need to pull the injectors and the exhaust manifold and the turbo. while the turbo is off switch it out and while the injectors are out switch them out. the head job is not that hard to do with a couple buddies for help. the machine shop downtime is what sucks. then once it's back together heat it up re-tourqe then...........:peelout
You don't need to remove the Head to install studs, unless you go with the 14mm studs, but the 12mm's are fine for most everyone.

Like mudin1 said go to races and sled pulls and pick as many brains as you can. with injectors you get what you pay for.

Remember bigger is not always better, especially with turbos!:beer

·
Registered
435 Posts
You don't need to remove the Head to install studs, unless you go with the 14mm studs, but the 12mm's are fine for most everyone.

Like mudin1 said go to races and sled pulls and pick as many brains as you can. with injectors you get what you pay for.

Remember bigger is not always better, especially with turbos!:beer

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help. which turbo would u suggest?

·
Cummins CrAzY
1,366 Posts
I like the High Tech turbos. The awesome thing about them is if you end up outgrowing your turbo you can send it in and have it upgraded for a fraction of the cost of having to buy a new turbo!

·
Registered
435 Posts
The super B from BD is a nice unit. Then later down the road you can upgrade to Twins for fairly cheap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking about the super b and im thinking of getting 150hp sticks later on. could i run them and the juice with a super b?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I would think that would be a good setup, turn the box down or off when you tow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the help. do u know how hard it is to swap a super b in?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
no you don't have to pull the head to do the studs but i'f you're gonna put studs in you might as well tear it down and go with a better gasket and freshen the head. these heads are notorious for cracking and with plenty of common rail heads out there you can convert and get a better flowing head. i just hate tearing things down more than once. turbo, injectors, ect.

swaping a super b won't be hard just make sure you get the hx 40 style downpipe. a used phat shaft could be found cheap and easily upgraded when you need more air.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the help phat shaft 62 on the way.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Before you install make sure you take the gasket and match port it to the exhaust manifold and turbo flange. This really help for flow and egt's. :peelout

1 - 16 of 16 Posts