Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im finally about done with my suspension so Im thinking about my next engine performance upgrade. Right now Im just running the Smarty on 5, AEM Brute Force, no muffler, and Diprocol guages. Im looking for the best bang for the buck without sacraficing reliability or drivability. I dont tow heavy. Im just not sure which way to go. Turbo, sticks, exhaust manifold, intake horn,.....? I just want to be able to smoke some local ricers and Mustangs without worrying about crazy EGTs or bad fuel millage. I know Im going to need a clutch eventually but I figure I'll just roast this one first. Any opinions or ideas? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
JMHO a pressure box and/or a better lift pump.:thumbsup

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you think I need more fuel? Just asking because I was guessing I needed more air. With the smarty on sw5 I can roll some serious smoke. I was always told that more smoke is from heavy fueling and that will cause high EGTs. Im new to performance diesel upgrades so I need some schooling. I've got a rail pressure guage and so far it has been within normal readings from idle to WOT. I just figured that that meant my fueling was good for now. But like I siad, I really dont know much about it. But Im trying to learn:thumbsup

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Well, what EGTs are you seeing now? I know my juice/ramifier stack, which is MUCH milder then the smarty, can be cooled fairly well with my stocker. Really you could go either way it is just the lift pump and/or pressure box would be a little more economical but may require more self control.

·
SootCloudMaker3
5,668 Posts
You will always need a better fuel pump than the stock. They will hold up for a bit but you will eventually burn up your CP3 and that will cost ya to replace. I would go for the fuel upgrade and then save up your pennies for a strong tranny. JMO

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, what EGTs are you seeing now? I know my juice/ramifier stack, which is MUCH milder then the smarty, can be cooled fairly well with my stocker. Really you could go either way it is just the lift pump and/or pressure box would be a little more economical but may require more self control.
Im seeing about 6-700 cruising at 70mph, 2000rpms. When I get on it hard I have seen high 11s. In any case, who makes a good lift pump? And is this something to do in preperation for future upgrades or will I see a power increase form it alone? And could you give me a short explanation on what exactly a pressure box does. Im assuming it just increases pressure to the rail, right?

·
Registered
909 Posts
fuel pump and turbo and clutch

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You will always need a better fuel pump than the stock. They will hold up for a bit but you will eventually burn up your CP3 and that will cost ya to replace. I would go for the fuel upgrade and then save up your pennies for a strong tranny. JMO
I've got the G56 and Im already putting $ aside for a new clutch. I just dont want to replace it before I need to. Who makes a good pump?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Im seeing about 6-700 cruising at 70mph, 2000rpms. When I get on it hard I have seen high 11s. In any case, who makes a good lift pump? And is this something to do in preperation for future upgrades or will I see a power increase form it alone? And could you give me a short explanation on what exactly a pressure box does. Im assuming it just increases pressure to the rail, right?
Yeah a good lift pump is a must for future upgrades and really wakes up any fueling mods. A pressure box increases the pressure coming outta the cp3 and across the rail. Too much pressure can crack fuel injectors, but you really gonna have to have a lotta pressure to do that.

No need for sticks? You think my intake and exhaust are good for now?
Without a good lift pump aiding your cp3 you are not gonna get a whole lot outta bigger sticks.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
I've got the G56 and Im already putting $ aside for a new clutch. I just dont want to replace it before I need to. Who makes a good pump?
Fass, Airdog, walbro, wicked diesel...all make good pumps.:thumbsup

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fass, Airdog, walbro, wicked diesel...all make good pumps.:thumbsup
Ok, thanks for the info. I guess I'll start looking into some pumps. Can you give me a rough idea what I'll be looking to spend? And also, which pressure box would be good to stack with my smarty. Thanks for your time and advice!:thumbsup

·
Registered
909 Posts
no i wouldnt bother with sticks yet. go with an airdog beacuse its cheep and a good pump. then i would get a turbo. and i would get a clutch anyways beacuse youll get more power out of your truck with an aftermarket one. i would go with a pressure box if it was my truck, wait 2 get the revo 4 the smarty and you can adjust pressure, i would save to money 4 the turbo and hold off on the pressure box.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Ok, thanks for the info. I guess I'll start looking into some pumps. Can you give me a rough idea what I'll be looking to spend? And also, which pressure box would be good to stack with my smarty. Thanks for your time and advice!:thumbsup
Good pressure boxes: Edge EZ, TS mp8, Diablo sport Powerpuck and Dr.P box

As far as price on lift pumps check out:

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/request-price-quote/

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Yeah, Spankdog... I am looking for a lift pump myself and can't decide on which one. My current BD Performance Aux Lift Pump took a crap on me a few days ago, but luckly it runs inline and my stocker still works. I've looked at the FASS 95/150, HPFP 95, Air Dog 100, Rator 100 & GDP. Price range from $360-$800 with or without fuel/air seperator (or basic pump). :popcorn:

BTW- How you liking your new Thuren Suspension?:peelout

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, Spankdog... I am looking for a lift pump myself and can't decide on which one. My current BD Performance Aux Lift Pump took a crap on me a few days ago, but luckly it runs inline and my stocker still works. I've looked at the FASS 95/150, HPFP 95, Air Dog 100, Rator 100 & GDP. Price range from $360-$800 with or without fuel/air seperator (or basic pump). :popcorn:

BTW- How you liking your new Thuren Suspension?:peelout
I know! Its hard to pick one when they all sound good. Once you start reading up on all the different opinions your head starts to spin. I know FASS is good but some people complain about how noisey it is. I just want to buy the best once. I dont want to get impatient and end up wishing I went a different route.
As far as Thuren's suspension, I love it. I put his new shackles on and now the truck sits the way I like it. And the new control arms are sweet!!!:thumbsup

1 - 16 of 16 Posts