Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is bone stock with 92K miles. I am getting about 18-19 mpg highway right now.
I am looking for mods to increase mpg. I don`t really need extra power, but horsepower increase is always good.
MPG is my main focus with $5 diesel.

So ....
What mods do you recommend and what should I expect for an increase with each mod and what would be $$ cost of each mod ?

Like most guys, I don`t have a zillion dollars to spend, but I can spare a little change right now.

·
Diesel-less
4,259 Posts
I'd suggest a good economy tuner, straight-pipe exhaust?

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
Check my sig, I went from 18-24MPG (when I drive it conservatively). I know you are on a budget and fuel economy is your biggest concern so I do not expect you to copy my signature but personally the biggest gain I have seen with all my mods has been from the X-Tuner. I also have a special running on them this month, check it out.

Other than that get yourself a good air intake kit.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
:welcome:

I would start with some form of intake and gauges. With the gauges get a pyro and boost at least. Keep the pyro under 650* and boost under 7 or so. Smarty jr. seems to be getting some good fuel economy feedback. Then even a simple performance muffler will help the cause.

G

·
I did a cold air filter and a MP-8. I saw 21 (Actual Highway)so far and I live in an urban area. My next move is a DPF delete which will stop the regens. That alone will save mega gallons.

I am waiting to see if anyone has done a DPF and no other mods.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
Sorry ruf, I am gonna have to disagree with ya on those numbers... 650 EGT and 7PSI of boost is very conservative! a bone stock truck can produce 20-25PSI and 800-900EGT's

Max EGT should not exceed 1250* but you will be hard pressed to keep it under 650.

Boost is your friend when it comes to fuel economy, the more the better! The only concern with too much boost, 50PSI and more is the head gaskets. With most tuners you should run about 30-35PSI boost which is well within what the head gasket can handle.

If you run a tuner on the lower 60-80HP file you should not need gauges but a pyro gauge is never a bad idea, they should come from the factory with one!

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
I did a cold air filter and a MP-8. I saw 21 (Actual Highway)so far and I live in an urban area. My next move is a DPF delete which will stop the regens. That alone will save mega gallons.

I am waiting to see if anyone has done a DPF and no other mods.
His truck does not have regen, lets help him out guys...

This information is not helping him...

G

·
Sorry ruf, I am gonna have to disagree with ya on those numbers... 650 EGT and 7PSI of boost is very conservative! a bone stock truck can produce 20-25PSI and 800-900EGT's

Max EGT should not exceed 1250* but you will be hard pressed to keep it under 650.

Boost is your friend when it comes to fuel economy, the more the better! The only concern with too much boost, 50PSI and more is the head gaskets. With most tuners you should run about 30-35PSI boost which is well within what the head gasket can handle.

If you run a tuner on the lower 60-80HP file you should not need gauges but a pyro gauge is never a bad idea, they should come from the factory with one!

Agreed. You can cruise at 70 and see 850 on the flats, stock. It seems to be the same with the MP-8. At those speeds on level ground, I show no boost at all, but tap it to change a lane and it can go to 5 to 10 depending on how hard you hit it.

I'm not to sure my banks boost gauge is working correctly. But it did become more active when I put in the AFE CAF.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Oh I know that I was referring to what numbers he should keep his boost/EGT under for the best fuel economy. Sorry for being vague.:thumbsup

For example,

I got just under 21mpg on my way home from Jersey 2 weeks ago. I left my Edge on 3/1 stacked with my ramifier pressure box and kept the EGTs around 650* or so and the boost in the single digits.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I've ran a few tanks through with the Edge Mileage Max on and have not been pleased. I'm gonna keep trying though. I hear lots of guys say that a Smarty has helped them out a good bit.

·
Registered
540 Posts
i got 23 or so highway at 64 MPH hand calc, using 2stroke oil I just installed a GHD i havent gotten a chance to drive with it yet, but a guy at the track told me they give another MPG

I orderd mine it was 33 bux to the front door its part number 3922484 at the cummins dealership, since they wanted me to wait 3 weeks for it I ordered it from this place and got it in about a week

If you do alot of highway driving a tunnocover is your best bet, if you stay under 50 MPH keep your tires inflated.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
Wow Diesel must be getting expensive!

Grid heater deletes, tonneau covers and two stroke oil, c'mon guys...?

At least no one has recommended the tornado for the intake... yet!

don't delay and if you call now, we will include a second tornado at no cost... :rof

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, my brain is starting to get cloudy. What`s with all the abbreviations ? I`m not new to diesels, but fairly new to diesel forums. Can everyone please clarify what you`re talking about please ?

Why 2 stroke oil ? And how would you use it - as an additive ?
What`s a grid heater ?
You can see I`m a dummy. :thud:

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Why 2 stroke oil ? And how would you use it - as an additive ?
What`s a grid heater ?
You can see I`m a dummy. :thud:
Some people use 2 stroke oil to gain some of the lubrication that was lost going from low sulfur to ultra low sulfur diesel. It is used in fairly small amounts, Mopar1973man runs it in 125:1 ratio or something like that.

A grid heater is under neath the intake plenum and some claim if you remove it and place it with a spacer you can gain some MPG.:thumbsup

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
Not dumb, like you said, just new to diesels, we have all been there!

Everyone is going to have their opinion on are here so spend some time reading some fuel economy posts. With the price of fuel right now it is probably the most common topic on here. That will surely raise some more questions that we will be happy to answer for you too :thumbsup

I think you will find that a good quality chip or tuner (power gains aside) is your best MPG gain per dollar.

You should be asking what chip or tuner is the best one to go with, which is a whole new topic!!! probably the most commonly talked about topic next to fuel economy on the Cummins Forum.

God speed :lol3:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will do that.

Thanks !

·
Registered
337 Posts
Wow Diesel must be getting expensive!

Grid heater deletes, tonneau covers and two stroke oil, c'mon guys...?

At least no one has recommended the tornado for the intake... yet!

don't delay and if you call now, we will include a second tornado at no cost... :rof

Dave, Dont be cheap,,, at least thro in some Oxi Clean too.:lol3::rof

1 - 17 of 17 Posts