Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got a 90 auto and has 3.07 gears. I would like 4.10s. I have found Full 2nd gen axles with 4.10s in it jw what would be easiest swap in terms of years.
Any help is greatly appreciated

glad to be back in here after having My first one stolen.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a rear-end out of a 1996 in mine. Bolted up no problems.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
You can put any axle under it you want if you can weld, I had a 12 bolt GM under mine for a while. The 2nd Gen SRW axles are wider then the 1st Gen SRW axles by a couple inches.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have a preference of brand of generations of configurations?
What issues would you run into if you tried to install the wider axle ?
wider as in diameter if axle housing ?
Wider as in width of vehicle?
Thanks a lot

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Do you have a preference of brand of generations of configurations?
What issues would you run into if you tried to install the wider axle ?
wider as in diameter if axle housing ?
Wider as in width of vehicle?
Thanks a lot
I'm familiar with the 2ndgen SRW D70 & 80. They are ~5" wider in track width (~70" overall). That means instead or your rear axle being 2.5" too narrow (stock) compared to the front, its 2.5" wider. Perch spacing is the same, but wider pads for 3" leafs. Brakes are slip-on style (drum 94-01; disc 01.5-02) which is much easier to service than 1stgen stuff. SRW track width grows to 71" somewhere in the 98-01 range. DRW happens to be 72" and cab&chassis at 68ish.

The Dana 70 is easier because of the same 3.5" axle tube (shock mount), and nothing changes for driveshaft length. The 80's pinion is longer, and uses 4" axle tubes.

As for wheels, I've tried front spacers with 3rdgen wheels, and now no spacers and the rears sticking out a little. IMHO decent either way.

Here's mine... I changed to the 2ndgen springs too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts