Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I know if a billet torque converter and valve body is enough or if I need a billet input shaft is well? Is there a hp range or a formula to go by?

·
Premium Member
15,634 Posts
Parts are not the contributing factor, its the right foot that determines how much help the trans needs.

You can drive around all day with a stack transmission behind 800 HP and it will work fine.

Your intended use and driving style will determine how much you need to build the trans.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Depends on how much you wanna put into it, trust me, i just redone my 48re and my intentions was to only spend 1500 but that turned into 3500 real quick, but hey, it only cost a little more to go first class

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
48re

What all did you get done for $3500?

·
Registered
729 Posts
you need to decide how much your willing to invest in your trans. imo you cant overbuild it. your can spend 2k-6k+. as stated above just depends on how much u want to abuse it and if you want it to last.

·
Registered
805 Posts
What is your goal horsepower and how do you use the truck will determine what you need. There isn't a thing as overkill with transmissions. I did a lot of reading on here before Doing mine and I chose to go with one fully built already from Garmon. Best 5k I've spent so far and I don't have to worry about it again, one and done IMO

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well new suncoast triple disk torque converter, new input shaft, new clutches all the way thru, new servos, new banda, valve body kit, bigger selonoid, and new overdrive planetary gear, and complete seal kit, ofcourse its gonna cost alot more if you dont do it yourself

·
Registered
344 Posts
FWIW about a year ago, while on vacation in Oregon, my stock tranny failed completely and had to be rebuilt. A private shop in Corvallis put in a 2 disc TC, billet flex plate, moderate upgraded valve body, larger governor pressure sensor, an extra clutch plate, and replumbed to allow fluid circulation in park. Three days from dropping the tranny to out the door and cost was $3200.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts