Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

MPG, truck unloaded

• <14

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • 14-14.9

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • 15-15.9

Votes: 15 10.8%
  • 16-16.9

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • 17-17.9

Votes: 24 17.3%
  • 18-18.9

Votes: 19 13.7%
  • 19-19.9

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • 20-20.9

Votes: 15 10.8%
  • >21

Votes: 25 18.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what everyone else is getting hand calculated for MPG's.

Hand calc'ed I am getting 21.5 with city/highway.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
im get'n about 14 right now cuz im been play'n around to much lately. but if i take it easy i get 16-17 on the street(stop and goes) and about 17-20 on the hwy
:thumbsup:hyper:

·
Registered
19 Posts
sry... didn't realize this was in 3rd gen. section.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,567 Posts
i get average of 20 city / hwy as long as my foot is out of it.
once you start playin, the mpg goes south quick.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I am getting 15-16 in the city, and a best of 19.2 hand calculated on the open road.

·
EAST TEXAS VP
3,432 Posts
thats really impressive , especially with your lift on 37's with no regear....how do you do that. i most of the time keep my boost under 6psi. how 'bout you?:thumbsup
I am doing the same, and without a regear, my RPM's are really low. On the open road at 70mph, I am only seeing about 1650rpm's. So, with the Smarty on SW#3, I have seen a best of 19.2!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am doing the same, and without a regear, my RPM's are really low. On the open road at 70mph, I am only seeing about 1650rpm's. So, with the Smarty on SW#3, I have seen a best of 19.2!!
Wow at 70 Mph I am a hair shy of 2k RPMs

·
EAST TEXAS VP
3,432 Posts
Yeah, I can keep the RPM's low with the big tires, but the rolling mass of my truck has put a small damper on my MPG's. Oh well, a small price to pay when you can have a lifted truck, and get descent MPG's.

·
3rd Gen Guy
2,095 Posts
Wow at 70 Mph I am a hair shy of 2k RPMs
same here but i still managed to get 19mpg on the highway and city mix.. did alot of driving at 75 and all the way down to 25 mpg at the grandcanyon stoping and going.. my truck av. about 19mpg :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
If I'm a good boy i can get a hand calculated 17+ mpg. But its hard to be a good boy:D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here is the breakdown from a recent trip to get the boat out of storage.

Drove from Reno to Sacramento over Donner pass with elevation of roughly 7500ft. Drove around Sacramento doing some errands. Picked up the boat and returned to Reno. Our boat weighs in around 5000-5500lbs depending on gas and toys.

When all was said and done the trip was just at 280 miles with 130 miles towing the boat (gaining 7500ft in elevation). I still had over half of a tank of fuel and hand calced at 17.3 mpg. Not to bad!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am getting 15-16 in the city, and a best of 19.2 hand calculated on the open road.
What gears do you have? Also is it an auto or manual? I'm wanting to lift mine but am scared of loseing mileage. After reading this the lift isn't looking so bad.

·
Registered
50 Posts
No one is going to believe this, but.....

I've been consistently getting on average 24 mpg.... If i'm really nice to it I can see 26 or 27 ...If I drive it like I want to then I see 22... Interstate at 80 mph I see more like 20mpg....
Advantages of a 2wd I guess... And a good flowing intake and exhaust...

And thats actual calculated miles.. not the (not so accurate) overhead display...

·
EAST TEXAS VP
3,432 Posts
What gears do you have? Also is it an auto or manual? I'm wanting to lift mine but am scared of loseing mileage. After reading this the lift isn't looking so bad.
I have 3.73's, and everyone has told me to go with the 4.10's. I am keeping my gears, because I can keep the RPM's so low at speed. It is an auto, with the 48re, and hasn't been to bad.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I've been consistently getting on average 24 mpg.... If i'm really nice to it I can see 26 or 27 ...If I drive it like I want to then I see 22... Interstate at 80 mph I see more like 20mpg....
Advantages of a 2wd I guess... And a good flowing intake and exhaust...

And thats actual calculated miles.. not the (not so accurate) overhead display...
I believe it. 2wd with a 6 speed. That is the best combo for mpg.

·
Registered
35 Posts
20.2 average by hand on the last tank.

Not in a big hurry and limiting Highway to 65 !!!

Gets better slowing down and drops off bigtime over 65...:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts