Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on the side of my motor, looks like some kind of cooler. has tranny lines attached to it. seems that the smaller line coming out of that and going to my tranny is leaking. also there is another line coming out of it and going to the front of the truck. metal line but is attached to the "cooler" looking thing with a rubber hose and clamp. this looks like its leaking too. i want to fix this soon since its starting to leave decent size puddles when only sitting for a couple hours.

·
Registered
53 Posts
sounds like the transmission cooler you are talking about, if I am not mistaken, these trucks have 2 coolers for auto transmissions. The one you are talking about and the radiator also acts as a cooler....the lines seem to be a common leak point, I changed mine about a year ago and guess what....they are leaking again!!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
correction...there is a cooler in the shared space of the radiator, doesnt actually use the radiator...lol. There is a cooler on the side of the engine(your problem area) and there is a cooler in front of the radiator...must be early, I am even confusing myself this morning...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok so that is a cooler. yeah i knew about the one in the radiator area, didnt realize there were two coolers on these trucks.

·
Premium Member
15,609 Posts
It is called a heat exchanger. Its a fluid to fluid unit that both cools and heats the trans fluid using coolant.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It is called a heat exchanger. Its a fluid to fluid unit that both cools and heats the trans fluid using coolant.
:agree2:

This is what I was trying to say, but with no coffee in me yet it came out as "duh duh duh"....:rof

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
ok so that is a cooler. yeah i knew about the one in the radiator area, didnt realize there were two coolers on these trucks.
FYI, IF you want to loosen OR tighten the trans lines to the heat exchanger make sure to support the fitting AT the exchanger DO NOT just crank on the line fitting.
2 reasons for this:
1) possibility of cracking/breaking/weakening the internal passages which could lead to coolant in the trans. fluid. aka new trans time
2)the heat exchangers are in the ballpark of $700.00
Just want to make sure we have your attention on this.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FYI, IF you want to loosen OR tighten the trans lines to the heat exchanger make sure to support the fitting AT the exchanger DO NOT just crank on the line fitting.
2 reasons for this:
1) possibility of cracking/breaking/weakening the internal passages which could lead to coolant in the trans. fluid. aka new trans time
2)the heat exchangers are in the ballpark of $700.00
Just want to make sure we have your attention on this.
i dont think the exchanger is leaking. by the looks of things, it just appears to be the lines. but i wanted know what the exchanger was called so if i have to call and order lines, i know what to tell the parts guy.

thanks for the heads up on the tightening though!

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
i dont think the exchanger is leaking. by the looks of things, it just appears to be the lines. but i wanted know what the exchanger was called so if i have to call and order lines, i know what to tell the parts guy.

thanks for the heads up on the tightening though!
probably the lines but I just wanted to warn you not to go in there like a bull in a china shop. same goes for replacing the rubber lines NO pliers. better safe than sorry. :)

Reactions: DevaRoh

·
Premium Member
15,609 Posts
Definitely hold the nut at the exchanger when loosening or you will have a big mess to clean up.

The trans lines have a habit of getting holes rubbud in them from contact with other pieces right there. The new lines are bent a bit different but a split rubber hose over them is a good idea.

Road salt in areas that use it will destroy them also. For the cost from the dealer you can have lines made at a hydraulic shop and have a better product.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts