Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
6,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 18,000 km on my truck, or just about 11,000 miles. Three times it has done something which I can only describe as a wastegate popping. It happened at about 8000 km, again at 9500 km, and then most recently at about 16000 km. Each time it has been while cruising at a steady speed. Once with a sled deck and two sleds in the back (about 1500 pounds total), the other two times while hooked up to my 16k lb fiver. With the sleds, it just made noise, sort of like a wastegate popping off a few times? But when hooked up to the trailer, I really noticed that it didn't have any power while it was sputtering. It was bucking noticably. The third time it lasted for about 1 minute. After it quit sputtering, it was fine. No CEL, and I just got back from the dealer, nothing on the starscan. Any thoughts? I am taking it in on Thursday and they are going to have a tech look at it. I don't really want to throw an XRT or Smarty on there before they get this figured out.

· Premium Member
6,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No thoughts? Truck is at the dealer, they are going to look at this, and the cracking passenger seat. Will report their findings.

· Registered
194 Posts
hey,i have had a sound similar.my truck wants to get jerky a bit after its been ran at 50-55 for a while.and when stoping it sounds like some loose marbles around the back of engine or shifter.dealer said it was the dual mass flywheel or some crap like that!

· Registered
1,650 Posts
my truck did it too, at slow speeds, sounded like the plexi on my S&B was popping, I didnt know what the heck it was.

· Registered
504 Posts
These kinds of problems, along with some trans shifting issues, are supposedly corrected by the latest flash which is designated BA. I have not had these problems with mine until last week when I had a Quadzilla Boost Fooler hooked up. The truck seemed to run quite well for a couple of days and then started acting up. It was throwing two EGR codes (401 & 402), then the over head started indicating that the DPF was full. In running it out the highway, it was doing exactly what you describe. In fact it lost so much power that I had to pull over. After removing the Boost Fooler, the engine light went out after 4 or 5 start cycles and all is back to normal. My truck is an '07 automatic, presently running the AX flash. I have been running with the EGR unplugged for close to 30,000 kms, with zero issues, prior to the Boost Fooler. I may have the BA flash installed and give it another shot.
My friend has an '08. We put the Boost Foolers on at the same time. His truck is throwing the same codes but he has no power loss or bucking etc. He is also running a Hypertech.

· Premium Member
6,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got my truck back. They said they flashed it. I asked which flash? They said "Yes, thats what we did, we flashed it." Nobody could tell me what flash it was. Of course they took it for a test drive, and nothing happened. See what happens I guess.

· Registered
40 Posts
I've had the same problem for about, well seems like forever. I would really like to know if this problem continues after the flash and what flash you had and what you have now.

· Registered
516 Posts
Check all of the rubber boots that connect the piping and intercooler (on the Pressure Side). I have had to replace one on the intake elbow because of a small tear. I don't know how it got there. The tear was about 2mm long.

It's worth checking out.

-Rhyno

· Premium Member
6,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check all of the rubber boots that connect the piping and intercooler (on the Pressure Side). I have had to replace one on the intake elbow because of a small tear. I don't know how it got there. The tear was about 2mm long.

It's worth checking out.

-Rhyno

Thanks, I'll check it out. I never thought to look for something like that, I figured since it happened so rarely it had to be an electrical problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.