Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

What is this tube???

1604 Views 15 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  dwoods_90
Crawled under the truck this weekend and was looking around and noticed a tube that I wasn't sure with it was. It drops down between the starter and the oil pan.

Anybody know what it is for?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
I have a tube like that coming down through but its to drain the water outta my fuel canister thing, perhaps the same thing your tube does. Or its an overflow tube for anti freeze or something along those lines

· Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not the drain tube for the fuel filter canister, mine is clear and tied up also.

This one is wider and pretty dirty with oil it looks like.

· Registered
93 Posts
Did you follow the tube back to where ever it goes? Im guess what gododge99 said. Its a vent tube for something....it could be a big vacuum line. Just throwing ideas out there

· Registered
93 Posts
I was dripping oil and coolant just a lil bit at a time, i asked the service manager if there was a leak, he said diesels do that its normal. I found the leaks and fixed em myself. By the time i fixed it i had almost no coolant in the tank left.

· Registered
55 Posts
I think back in 2000 they Dodge ran that tube to a bottle. AKA "puke bottle"

But the problem was no one drained it at the oil change interval, so it would fill up. Then if you backed up a steep driveway it would dump all the way to the top of someones nice new concrete driveway.:doh:

Happened to my friend. He scrubbed for days on that ladys driveway.:hehe:

Moral of the story: Its a breather, just like us humans have. Its gross and smells funny but we all need one. So dont tamper with it or you'll be needing lots of these:S:

· Registered
6 Posts
thanks all. I'll just leave it be then.
That hose is the drain for your fuel water separator. There should be a yellow lever on the side of your fuel filter canister that would allow you to drain the water from that canister.

· SNAFU
4,724 Posts
yeah its the crankcase breather, if it is dripping, on my 01 I attached it to a short piece of garden hose then put a sock on the end of it and tied it out of the way, the sock soaks up the oil and every oil change you just put a new sock on, helps to keep the underside of the truck clean.

· Registered
474 Posts
yeah its the crankcase breather, if it is dripping, on my 01 I attached it to a short piece of garden hose then put a sock on the end of it and tied it out of the way, the sock soaks up the oil and every oil change you just put a new sock on, helps to keep the underside of the truck clean.
I bet the wife gets pissed when she finds the sock in the laundry every few months!!! :hehe:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.