Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why did they have to make that such a tight fit i got it removed with houres of prying and beating but now i am lost on how to get it back in from what i understand you have to spread the frame apart correct? now instid of buying a hyd ram from harbor freight what has everyone else riged up?

· Registered
424 Posts
Be persistant. I got mine out with a big hammer and about 5mins, and got it back in the same way. It's nice and obvious where the crossmember will want to sit, because its a slightly raised platform on the frame. Instead of trying to put it in and go straight up at that location I slid it up into place approx 6" to the front of the truck and hammered it back into place. It's a lot easier to hammer towards the back off the truck instead of hammering it up and trying to compress it that 1". Just be careful and make sure that you clear your tranny mount when hammering it towards the rear of the truck.

· Registered
5,648 Posts
I took an old sissor jack (the one's that come with just about any car) and welded a length of 1x1 steel tube to it, placed it between the frame rails and used an impact gun to "spread the frame" worked sweet, I used the sissor jack because most hydralic jacks dont work on their side. heck I'm sure a Jackall would work if you had to.

· Registered
4,158 Posts
you dont need to spread the frame, take the crossmember start from the back of the truck (behind where it mounts) slide it up as far as you can and push it forward it should slide pretty much right in maybe using a soft hammer (rubber) but the crossmember is pretty easy to put in with minimal tools

· Premium Member
8,859 Posts
I just put a handy man jack under there and used it to spread it but if you go sideways then down much easier dont try going strait down or up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.