Cummins Diesel Forum banner

What is the ideal delete overhaul? (2012 6.7)

3581 Views 23 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  T210DRVR
I own a 2012 6.7 liter and I need to get it deleted. I am in Canada up in Fort McMurray and the truck is used as a work vehicle in the mines. Work up here on remote sites often required us to leave the vehicle idling all day during the winter months as the vehicle doubles as a warm shack. People up here with DPF's have constantly had issue doing so as they constantly plug if you attempt to do this and the DPF in fact becomes a serious safety concern on those trucks.

Thus I have to get it deleted.

I know I want to get the DPF deleted and the EGR and I know I need a tuner. I will probably put a new exhaust system on it.

Are there any other things that I should be looking at getting removed? I saw a video on youtube of a guy who did a delete and he removed what I think I remember was a throttle valve, things like that I do not know of but I am looking at getting the work done this Christmas break and want to make sure to have the shop do all the work required to make the vehicle run as best as can be managed.

Right now all of the engine/tranny/exhaust are stock. The vehicle will have about ~22,000kms on it when the work is done, I am ok losing the warranty on the drivetrain to get this done.

I am not looking for huge boosts in power, I want reliability, longevity for the engine, and fuel efficiency.

So basically what would all of you recommend is done to a unmodified 2012 diesel as far as deletes/modifications to make it run and be as reliable as possible?
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
you may not get alot of replys because this subject has been discussed many times. I would use the search function.

as for deleting:
1) good - Use SIMS and delete DPF
2) Better - use RaceME tuner and delete EGR and DPF
3) Best - use H&S minimaxx or XRT and delete Egr and DPF

As for delete hard-parts. Take your pick, they all do the same thing.
I cant wait to see the CF Nazi's chime in on this one lol
depends on your budget. you could just buy a tuner like raceME and a delete pipe and be good to go or you could buy a complete turbo back exhaust, h&s tuner with MCC and custom tunes, erg cooler delete and different are intake elbow. Depends on what you want your truck to do. Both will increase longevity and reliability over stock, one it just cheaper than the other.
Reactions: 1
depends on your budget. you could just buy a tuner like raceME and a delete pipe and be good to go or you could buy a complete turbo back exhaust, h&s tuner with MCC and custom tunes, erg cooler delete and different are intake elbow. Depends on what you want your truck to do. Both will increase longevity and reliability over stock, one it just cheaper than the other.
The truck is used for work and makes quite a lot. The budget is fairly open ended within reason.

I want to maximize longevity, reliability, and fuel efficiency (mostly to increase mileage between filling it, I do not pay for my fuel).

I want the best parts to put into the truck to make it run as well as is possible. The best do not nessessarily have to be the most expensive and are often not, but if they are I am ok with putting those in.

What is the different air intake elbow and how does that particular part affect the overall performance?
i bought mine because it looks better than factory (especially with the egr valve block off plate bolted on) and was told that it would help with EGT. Just figured less intake restriction makes it more efficient with greater air flow. Not to mention it looks alot better. The mods in my sig seem to work really well together and easy to do yourself (minus the clutch unless you have the resources to do it). I'm very happy with what I've done, my fuel mileage is much better and the truck runs like it should.
I'm very happy with what I've done, my fuel mileage is much better and the truck runs like it should.
That is where I want to get to.

ATM my truck has ~16,000kms. I drive it almost exclusively on Highway 63 between Fort McMurray and a mine called Aurora about 50 minutes north of town. The highway has a speed limit of 100km/h and is pretty free flowing most of the time but I am hovering between 17.2 L/100km (13.68MPG) and 20.2 L/100km (11.64 MPG).

I tend to drive between 95 and 110km/h (59-68MPH), rarely ever brake and tend to attempt to coast and use the natural terrain as much as possible to minimize fuel usage. Despite this I seem to have absolutely brutal mileage so far and if anything it is getting worse, not better. It leads one to wonder if things are not getting gummed up in there already.
The other thing that you could potentially look at is putting an espar or proheat in. I just finished installing one a couple weeks ago, the big test will be this blizzard that supposed to arrive tonight here in central alberta (which is probably there already!). I am deleted and that is probably the best thing I did, and I don't have to worry about filters. The problem that could arrive is warranty, and I do worry about that. If its just the idling that your worried about and clogging filters, I think this is a pretty good option.
make sure that you run the factory winter front drill cover, keeping the highway speed cold air out of the radiator and engine bay will help keep the engine warmer. my truck is fully deleted and modified it works well in the cold winter weather here in Edmonton for the past couple winters, no issues so far for warranty inquires, not worried, i have a true diesel engine now under the hood.
That is where I want to get to.

Easy way, look at other people's sig and copy what they did for the deletes or get ahold of a vendor on the site (there are many) and they can help you out. Either way you'll love your truck when done :party018:
Reactions: 1
my truck is fully deleted and modified it works well in the cold winter weather here in Edmonton for the past couple winters, no issues so far for warranty inquires, not worried, i have a true diesel engine now under the hood.
Did you do the work yourself or get a shop to do it? If it was a shop would you recommend them? I am still sort of looking around for someone to do the work.

I contacted Fuel Automotive in Strathmore as they seem to have been very well recommended here on this forum, still waiting to hear back if they can do the work over my X-Mas break. They are in Strathmore and I will be spending the break in Calgary so they are fairly easy to get to. I could spend a day or two in Edmonton on the trip down or back up to Fort McMurray as well though if I was to get the work done there.
All the engine and drive train upgrades were done by myself, lots of hrs with great detail.
90% engine components were purchased from Glacier Diesel Products - great after sales service i received from them. H&S race tuner from JBs in Edmonton / Flo Pro 4 " turbo back with a 36" Mack muffler (not tin can sound - sounds like a rubble big block), trans software upgrade / trans deep pan / differential deep pan / COMPLETE custom intake air box system to turbo / air to air cooler / intake S2 / grid heater delete kit on engine / relocated before S2 intake, more to come yet, tows a combined weight of 22,000lbs during summer through out the rockies leaving many single cars to pull over into the slow lanes while we cruise past. theis engine combination is supper strong, contact GDP (Richard) and listen well to him. its been a couple years now and the diesel still pulls hard onto on ramps on the highway leaving the street tuner cars behind - remember I'm 8000 lbs also.
A lot of great info and search tips, ill be doing the deletes in my buddies 2013 3500 soon the regen mode sucks so much!
I didn't read anyone recommending crank case vent delete. This keeps the ccv from venting into the turbo and oiling it up. It's cheap and easy. The Minni max also slows you to fast idol, which may be needed in Realy cold weather and quicker warm ups
OK, I received a quote today from the shop I contacted. There are two packages.

Package 1) Full new exhaust.

MACH Force XP 4" Turbo-Back Stainless Steel
Exhaust Race System; Dodge Diesel Trucks 07.5-12
L6-6.7L

7009 H&S Mini Maxx Tuner w/Unlock

609001 Mini Maxx Overhead Mount (Pillar Mount
available for $125.00)

709101 H&S Dodge 6.7L Pyro Sensor

301004 H&S Dodge 6.7L EGR/Cooler Delete

AFE 54 31342 1 Magnum FORCE PRO 5R Stage-2 Intake System;
Dodge Diesel Trucks 07.5-12 L6-6.7L

AFE 28 10053 Pre-Filter 2x/72-90008/9
Package 2) DPF/CAT pipe install

FLO 835 Flo-Pro 4" DPF/Cat Delete w/bungs 1

6009 H&S XRT Pro Tuner c/w Unlock Code

Repair Hours Supply and install EGR/Cooler Delete Kit

301004 H&S Dodge 6.7L EGR/Cooler Delete

AFE 54 31342 1 Magnum FORCE PRO 5R Stage-2 Intake System;
Dodge Diesel Trucks 07.5-12 L6-6.7L

AFE 28 10053 Pre-Filter 2x/72-90008/9
Package 1 is more expensive but it includes a new stainless exhaust system, the pyro sensor and the Mini Maxx tuner vs the XRT.

I like the looks of the 1st package over the second. Having a tuner that has a display and the ability to change things on the fly appeals to me. On the other hand having one that plugs into the vehicle when changing stuff and then is unplugged leaves the interior looking completely stock and I save money on the install. Any thoughts on the advantages and disadvantages from a Mini Maxx to a XRT Pro from anyone here?

What are the thoughts on the 4 inch exhaust system vs a 5 inch exhaust? I hear/read you would have lower EGT's with the larger exhaust and that the sound changes quite a lot. I am not looking to be loud and will be going with a muffler either way but I need some guidance on these two options from you all.

MACH Force XP 5" Turbo-Back Stainless Steel Exhaust Race System w/ Polished Tip; Dodge Diesel Trucks 07.5-12 L6-6.7L

vs

MACH Force XP 4" Turbo-Back Stainless Steel Exhaust Race System; Dodge Diesel Trucks 07.5-12 L6-6.7L

Is there a strong benefit when going from the 4" to the 5"? Is the install in either rock solid underneath and do either have issues with making it tougher to get at the spare tire or any other issues?

When it comes to the parts, I know little about the various companies but the company has mostly quoted aFe Power for the parts (exhaust, cold air intake) and H&S for the tuners.

From what I have read about H&S tuners they seem to be very popular and a solid choice. The Mini Maxx has been discontinued I have seen from the H&S website, anyone know why that is? There is now a Mini Maxx "Street" that replaced it. I also saw the Black Maxx was discontinued. Are these the result of EPA crack downs or are the new models upgrades with actual better programming?

Is there a better company to look at for the non-tuner parts then aFe Power or are they right there at the top when it comes to both the exhaust and the cold air intake?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer on this decision. I am close to biting the bullet and sending them a confirmation and booking my install. The company itself doing the work (Fuel Automotive in Strathmore Alberta) seems very professional in their dealings so far and their shop rate seems very reasonable.
See less See more
Just did my truck myself a couple of weeks ago.
I was not looking for to much extra power since they run real nice with just the MiniMaxx.
Took me about 2 hours to delete. I left the Cat down pipe in since I didn't want the truck to be much louder than stock. Just removed the DPF and installed the straight delete pipe without bungs. So from the end of that pipe back is stock also. Simple.
Unplugged the EGR for now and run the delete tunes on the MiniMaxx.
Couldn't be happier! I am am getting 18.5 -19 highway mpgs!
Engine oil is staying clean and the truck runs really nice now.
Thanks Freedspirot. That type of MPG is so far away from what I am getting right now. When I am rolling down a hill without having my foot on the gas, hit the reset button on my info, and see anything even in the 14.X L/100KM range I am giddy. 19 MPG would be in the 12.X range for L/100K.

Right now from Fort McMurray to Calgary I can get to Calgary barely, rolling into town on fumes after leaving Fort McMurray with a full tank. Getting into town with 1/4 of a tank of fuel still would be awesome.
Any thoughts on the advantages and disadvantages from a Mini Maxx to a XRT Pro from anyone here?
You hit the nail on the head. MiniMaxx is shift on fly, but XRT has security of removing it after install and keeping it safe at home/under seat.

What are the thoughts on the 4 inch exhaust system vs a 5 inch exhaust?
Call me old, but my friends 2012 with 5in was too loud for my taste. I would see if you can find a local CF member and check it out live before you go 5in.

Sounds like you have a solid parts list spec'ed out. Your going to love it.
Call me old, but my friends 2012 with 5in was too loud for my taste. I would see if you can find a local CF member and check it out live before you go 5in.

Sounds like you have a solid parts list spec'ed out. Your going to love it.[/QUOTE]

If you leave the Cat/Down pipe in place you will not notice much difference from stock in the cab. If you change the air intake to a aftermarket syle you will also pick up more Turbo noise. If he is just looking for a reliable, better mileage, no frills work rig then I would suggest just the basics for the delete.

I know since I owned a 2008 6.7 fully deleted for 200k miles. It was fun and all but once I lifted the head and the tranny started to go I was resolved to make this one last and keep power closer to stock. :S:
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.