Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replacing my tensioner and belt , I have no A/C and trying to find a good band. Thanks, salute to everyone,.......

·
Registered
122 Posts
Rock Auto should have these. They also list manufacturer part numbers so you can do a Google search on part number and find other options. Rock Auto prices are good, customer service not so much.

·
Registered
18,352 Posts
Good luck finding one anywhere. Non AC trucks are not numerous enough to make parts for. The only difference is the pulley wheel so if yours is good it can be swapped over. I don't have anything to back up my theory, but I suppose it is possible that running the ribs of the belt over a smooth wheel will work fine but possibly wear the belt out faster.

·
Registered
18,352 Posts
I wonder why this was switched to the 1st gen section.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Good luck finding one anywhere. Non AC trucks are not numerous enough to make parts for. The only difference is the pulley wheel so if yours is good it can be swapped over. I don't have anything to back up my theory, but I suppose it is possible that running the ribs of the belt over a smooth wheel will work fine but possibly wear the belt out faster.
I have a customer with a non AC truck that's been running the short belt with the smooth back across a grooved tensioner pulley for 3 years and 40,000 miles, and although I advised him that it wouldn't last he makes sure that he points it out to me and proves me wrong every time he comes in for service.

·
Registered
18,352 Posts
I have a customer with a non AC truck that's been running the short belt with the smooth back across a grooved tensioner pulley for 3 years and 40,000 miles, and although I advised him that it wouldn't last he makes sure that he points it out to me and proves me wrong every time he comes in for service.
You have that backward. The non-AC pulley wheel has grooves, it is the AC tensioner with a smooth wheel. Besides, 40,000 miles on a belt is nothing. My maintenance schedule (not Dodge's) replaces the belt at 100k miles.

·
Registered
609 Posts
You have that backward. The non-AC pulley wheel has grooves, it is the AC tensioner with a smooth wheel. Besides, 40,000 miles on a belt is nothing. My maintenance schedule (not Dodge's) replaces the belt at 100k miles.
Same concept though grooves on smooth isn't supposed to work but it did for over 3 years.

·
Super Moderator
21,459 Posts
Same concept though grooves on smooth isn't supposed to work but it did for over 3 years.
I have non-ac belts on both of my engines that had the ac belts on. One has been on there for 10 years and the other about 8 years. Neither tensioners wheel have messed up my belts either.

Reactions: Saintly

·
Registered
631 Posts
Using my '96 for researching - NAPA, O'Reilly, and RockAuto all show a non-AC belt. I could only find smooth-pulley tensioners listed on those sites. According to the illustration in my FSM, a non-AC belt would have a grooved tensioner pulley as the pulley would be on the "inside" of the belt. Found old thread in this forum with a part # for a grooved pulley

·
Registered
18,352 Posts
Huh? You said he has a non-AC truck with a grooved pulley. That is how they are designed.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Huh? You said he has a non-AC truck with a grooved pulley. That is how they are designed.
Dude, I give up! I'm so sorry!

Forget I ever said anything.

·
Premium Member
5,132 Posts
Only problem i ran into was non ac belt routing side loads the water pump bad.

Groves on the pulley aren't needed, but im sure you could dig through the parts book if you felt obligated. I need my ac so the spare no ac belt is just a get me home fix anyway

·
Registered
772 Posts
Rock auto has close out belts for non-ac for about $11.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
My local autozone had a selection of non-ac belts in stock when I wanted to test run an engine outside of the truck.
The non ac belt probably fits on some other more common application as well. Can’t imagine an auto parts store stocking belts that were rare and only used on something as specific as a non- ac Cummins.

·
Registered
18,352 Posts
The title of the thread is belt tensioner. Belts are easy to find.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Reactions: Saintly

·
Registered
18,352 Posts
Reactions: Antonm

·
Registered
1997 4X4 2500 automatic 240,000 regular cab
197 Posts
read the thread title again.
So if I get rid of my AC compressor all I need is a non AC belt and I’m on the road? Which pulley are you all referring to, the one on the compressor? Thanks, sorry for being off topic but I’ll not say more

·
Super Moderator
21,459 Posts
So if I get rid of my AC compressor all I need is a non AC belt and I’m on the road? Which pulley are you all referring to, the one on the compressor? Thanks, sorry for being off topic but I’ll not say more
Yes if you want to delete your AC then just buy a Non-AC belt and then route it like the belt diagram on your truck.

·
Registered
18,352 Posts
The pulley wheel in discussion is the one on the tensioner. A non-AC truck from the factory came with a grooved wheel. Yes, you can use the smooth wheel on yours with a shorter belt if you wish to. I have one with a grooved wheel I carry with a short belt if I ever have an AC compressor lockup when I'm on the road. I personally wouldn't run a grooved belt on a smooth wheel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts