Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is a silencer ring and what does it do?? also what are the stps to take it off?

·
Registered
155 Posts
The silencer ring is on the intake side of the turbo that keeps the whistle down. Take it out and the whistle is alot louder with an aftermarket intake. To take it out pull the intake tube off the turbo. Then use a couple of small flat head screwdrivers to pry the snap ring out. Then the silencer ring will come right out. Takes less than 5 minutes.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does anyone have a pic of it ?

·
Registered
199 Posts
<--------- Right there.

·
Registered
717 Posts
go into the search and type in silencer ring removal. I remember seeing detailed pics and instructions on how to take it out

·
Registered
27 Posts
i was just wondering....could thier be a small drop in performace(nothing noticible) because it looks like when you take the ring out thier could be dead air????

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks alot i just got it out sounds great!!!

·
Premium Member
4,688 Posts
in there it says somthing about max boost being like 20 psi.

i thought guys are pushin like almost 35 psi on a stock hx35 turbo.....what gives?

what do they do to the waste gate to run that much boost?
adjustible boost elbow (HX's), or a J-hook (HY's) the elbow just cuts down the amount of boost getting to the waste gate, which makes it open at a higher boost level. and a boost fooler to keep from popping codes

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,292 Posts
Here is my write up...:w:

(Pic clickable) :thumbsup

·
Registered
205 Posts
what are some easy way to get the clip out?? I tried with a couple small srew drivers and I couldnt get it out.

·
Registered
182 Posts
hey i just took my ring out the other day i found it easier to use one flat head and what i call a "butter knife" its just a really thin blade that fit under the clip. the use the flat head to remove further goin around the whole clip untill you can grab it and hoax it out be very care full not to get any shavings in the turbo. Have fun you'll enjoy the outcome.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I was told if you take out the silencer ring it will weqar out your turbo faster???

·
Registered
486 Posts
well I've tested mine with it in and with it out, and from seat of the pants experience on acceleration the turbo seems to spool up quicker with the silencer ring in place.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
note: if you look at the picture from mopar1973 you will notice that the retaining ring ends are angled in opposite directions, one end will be much easier to get under. i used a broken off screwdriver with only about 1/8" left on the tip to get ander ring. it was a piece of cake

1 - 18 of 18 Posts