Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a few problems where my DEF Service message appears and disappears at random. Sometimes I get the 200 mile range and others I get a different one with less. I don't know what's going on. I took the truck to the dealer for a recent SCR catalyst recall where they replace it completely. I even when online and bought a DEF doser (injector) since the original was full of crystallized DEF. So far, the dealer gave me no answers since the warning doesn't show up with them at the dealership. I took the truck to my buddy's garage and he was able to put a $4000 Snap-on scanner to erase the codes and that DEF warning but I'm trying to find the problem. Could be a NOx sensor or something else but for now I do NOT want to "delete" the system due to health reasons. Does anyone recommend an OBDII scanner I can buy online to read, stores, and erase codes on the 2011 RAM 5500 Cab & Chassis? I'm running the 6.7 Cummins with 305HP with the EGR removed.
I was looking on Amazon at the BlueDriver LSB2 Bluetooth Pro Scan tool for around $100. I read lots of reviews about it but I would like to know if there is another scan tool out there that is not overkill or overpriced. Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I bought the alfaobd and the OBDLink MX+ on amazon. You can read codes and delete. This setup lets you do all kinds of things with your truck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the alfaobd and the OBDLink MX+ on amazon. You can read codes and delete. This setup lets you do all kinds of things with your truck.
Thanks you for the suggestion. Do you have some links to share? I think the AlfaOBD is a service only as I didn't find any reader for sale on Amazon. Also, for the OBDLink MX+; did you get the black or green one? I'm getting more codes in my trucks and I need to know what is going on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Harbor Freight...as cheap as you want, all the way up to ones that do ABS module codes.
NO WAY! Just like their jack stand towers. :ROFLMAO:
I'm not trying to be cheap but I want something that deal with the Chrysler BS software problems.

·
Registered
419 Posts
OBD2 codes are standardized. A $7 cheapo will give you the code just as well as an expensive Snap-On.

The one from HF that does ABS modules will do pretty much anything somebody needs done. The AlphaOBD setups allow for tinkering and configuration changes.

·
Registered
96 Posts
They also read codes and delete them. You can check your monitors and it'll tell you when they are reset. You can also monitor different sensors. I have mine monitoring turbo intake temp, egr temp, egt temps on sensors 1 and 2. I got the black one. Internet search alfaobd and you'll get info on what it can do. Plus with the OBD MX+, you can get all the codes and delete them. It also tells you when monitors reset.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks you for the suggestion. Do you have some links to share? I think the AlfaOBD is a service only as I didn't find any reader for sale on Amazon. Also, for the OBDLink MX+; did you get the black or green one? I'm getting more codes in my trucks and I need to know what is going on.
Here is the link for their webpage. AlfaOBD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts