Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Question. The current set up on the 1990 is a 1997 HX35 with the original 1990 18 cm H1C exhaust snail. I run about 32 psi having only changed the fuel screw and addition of an intercooler, ASA intake, 4" exhaust, timing at 1.79, 60 psi springs, and exhaust manifold. My pyro can reach 1300+ if I want it to, but that is mostly when towing and slightly lugging it.

But this has been in there now for 3 years. And as the weak link getrag is now gone and I have a 5600, I want a little more. Plus the fact that the H1C housing is so corroded at the flange that is no longer seals, I have started looking into a Super HX40 vs just replacing the H1C housing.

Question is, with the above mentioned, what injector would be recommended? Would the stock 1990 9mm units flow enough to drive the 40? Or would something like a DDP stage 1 or 2 type injector work? Maybe PODs? Bosch 190s?

I do not want smoke and I would still like to retain a good fuel economy (yes I know mpg is dictated by ones right foot! :D) so I am looking for a balanced engine. I suspect the current injectors could work but with the 40, it could likely use a bit more.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Primary use is towing 11K lbs as well as daily driving only in summer months. HP wise I currently put down 274/720 at the wheels as it sits. Would not mind a bit more kick for the long hills but I also do not want to get into studs, head gaskets, etc so no not looking for a 150 HP + injector.

Thanks!

Robert

·
1ST GEN
15,574 Posts
Your pushing enough fuel to spool a super 40 the way your setting.

Going by dyno sheets. I am pushing 185 HP at 500 ft lbs :hehe:

I spool a super 40 with no problems.

When I went from a HX35 to the 40. I had a 100 degree drop in EGT's at wot. Across the complete throttle range it was lower also.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow. Accurate dyno I would say! ;) LOL

Wow. I should have just emailed you Philip! You are sitting not far off exactly my intended setup!

Your 16 gated or non? What kind of boost numbers you see?

For the injectors you have, what brand/stage are they? (or claimed hp over stock)

·
1ST GEN
15,574 Posts
Mine is gated. I have it unhooked. If I hook it up it opens at 22 PSi. :lol

I see 30 PSi max at my curent settings.

I have a set of Penscola Diesel injectors these are from a not to highly rated company. These injectors do not flow like a set of 6x.016's flow. But they were good for a 10 PSI increase in boost over the stock 6x.009's.

Its a long story how I got these injectors. So I won't go threw it. If I had known before hand. I wouldn't have got them due to where they come from.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah yes. I remember them. Been a while since I heard their name associated with injectors. ;)

30? Thats it? Poop. I would have thought more!

·
1ST GEN
15,574 Posts
I have the stock fuel pin in and stock fuel settings.

I keep the truck setup for towing. I have been up to 24.4K GVCW. I moved it with no issues.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Philip

Do you have a flat flange for the down pipe or a marmon flange?

Anyone know what a Super HX40 in a 16 WG has?

·
1ST GEN
15,574 Posts
The super 40 should have a flat flange. Airflow.com has a good heavy flange for the 40's. Its is listed under a C series engine. It is for a 4" exhaust.

Flange for 6CT Cummins

The number for the V band clamp is on the same page.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am so confused. Holset says its a marmon. I'm lost.

Do you have a pic of under your hood? Like the turbo side? Curious to see what this thing looks like and how the WG is situated.

Thanks!

Great link too btw. Looks like a very meaty flange!

·
1ST GEN
15,574 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That looks great! THANK YOU!

That part number is now on order. :D

Your old setup looks exactly like my current setup. LOL And your current setup looks like my future setup.... :D

·
1ST GEN
15,574 Posts
That looks great! THANK YOU!

That part number is now on order. :D

Your old setup looks exactly like my current setup. LOL And your current setup looks like my future setup.... :D
The current setup is going to be changed shortly. I have an E brake I am working on getting installed. I am having to do some fab work. Those 4" brakes don't have much of a seletion to chose from and we don't have much room to play with on a 1st gen. :rof

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I disagree. I have a PAC Brake 4" inline PRXB in mine. Stuck it in the downpipe about 3 years ago. Fantastic little invention. :)

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just a quick update. I have my turbo but part number 4027888 does NOT fit a 12v, gen 1 or two.

The WG actuator faces forward toward the oil filter and actually does not allow you to clock the compressor housing enough to make the elbow to intercooler line up. Also you cannot use the factory oil drain tube.

This is not the standard direction of a Dodge waste gate as there is nothing you can do short of making your own waste gate actuator bracket that will allow you to use it. And if you do, and you want to adjust the wastegate, you will have to remove the turbo from the vehicle to do so as it sits under the exhaust manifold.

I understand that is the PN Holset's chart has, but that is not the right one. :(

·
1ST GEN
15,574 Posts
Here is what my turbo looks like on the WG setup.

Post pic of the one they sent.

I would send holset a email letting them know that the number they have listed does not work on a 1st gen. Then ask what they are going to do about the turbo you have purchased using their number.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, that is SOOOO not what I got! LOL

Here is a pic I found online that gives a better view:

·
1ST GEN
15,574 Posts
Thats the first 40 I have seen with that WG setup.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Me too. But that's the 888 number. Right on the ID tag too.

·
1ST GEN
15,574 Posts
I cleaned the tag off on my turbo. It is #4031450.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts