Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so about 3 months ago i sold my 1998 24v auto and bought a 2003 dodge ram quad cab 3500 6speed manual cummins. the truck has just about 400,000kms on it. the first time i started experiencing issues was on a 2 hour drive each way. i stopped at a gas station and put $40 of diesel in since my fuel light was on and about 10 minutes of driving the truck started to chug when i was on the gas pedal, i figured i got some water in the fuel and stopped and put another $40 in at a different station and some fuel treatment. the problem went away for about a half hour then came back. i could barely get into the gas pedal at all or else the chugging would get so rough i thought it was going to break. i ended up making the trip both ways barely.. the truck shut off on the way back. i turned the key on and off a few times to let the pump run and it managed to start up and get me back. haven't really had issues since and iv put about 8000kms on it.

BUT NOW...

yesterday i replaced the filters, did an oil change and cleaned my k&n filter and the truck seemed very happy! ran really well and i had a noticeable power gain. i filled my truck up today and put fuel conditioner in, about 10 minutes later going down the highway i couldn't get it over 90kmh.. just felt like something was restricting it.. no chugging just was running odd. alittle while later driving it started chugging when i was going about 60 and seemed to be throwing abit more black smoke out the exhaust then shut off completely. i got out, opened the drain valve on the lift pump and it sounded like opening a pop can ( release of pressure sound ) and no fuel drained out. i closed it, got back in my truck, let the pump run a few times then it started. i drove about 100 feet then it died again while chugging. i got out, opened the valve again, no pressure noise like before but was barely draining fuel from it. managed to get it going again and back to my house.. im not a diesel mechanic but i do know a fair bit of mechanics myself, mostly small motors and things like that.. im very low on $ funds right now so im trying to avoid a shop bill.. .. can anyone help me and my rig ? :confused013:

im close to ordering a fass 150 titanium series to hopefully fix this issue..

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
First, get rid of that K&N; they suck for our trucks. :thumbup: Since you've already changed fuel filters you can 'possibly' rule that out. (wouldnt hurt to change again; maybe a baldwin PF7977) The next in line would be the lift pump. 98% of the time, when they go, they go. a few here and there act up for a few days then quit. Also, its possible the tank might need to be cleaned out; since you said the fuel light was on, then added a small amount of fuel then the problems happened again.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
:agree2:
my money would be on the lift pump. especially since you only had air coming out when you opened the drain.
These trucks will run without a LP.....sometimes. (ask me how I know)
'03 is fuel canister mounted UNLESS it was replaced by the dealer in which case it'll be in the tank.
'bout 2" diameter/7" long mounted vertically on the rear of the fuel filter canister.
If you're low on funds just get another replacement pump 100-150 vs.550-600 for either a FASS or AD.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the quick replies! I just checked, my truck still has it on the fuel filter housing. looks like im parking it for a few weeks til i get a fass 150 titanium in!

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
thanks for all the quick replies! I just checked, my truck still has it on the fuel filter housing. looks like im parking it for a few weeks til i get a fass 150 titanium in!
FYI, the AD FP100 installation does NOT require installation of a draw straw.
Hence no need to drop the tank or raise the bed. FWIW
took me about an hour to install.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My truck did about the same thing died then started ran for awhile then died again, towed it home went out to it a few days later started right up. Put an air dog in it hasn't happened again

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
My truck did about the same thing died then started ran for awhile then died again, towed it home went out to it a few days later started right up. Put an air dog in it hasn't happened again
when mine pooped out on my '03 i was just returning from a 2000 mile round trip to Chicago, got of the interstate pulled up to the 1st stop light I saw in 4 days, truck died, restarted and did it again at the next light, restarted then drove the last 10 miles home. went out the next day to run 10 miles into town. got to the store and that was it. NO more re-start NO fuel. Nothing.
It literally died within 20 miles after driving 2k. talk about lucky!
and THAT'S why I know they DON'T ALWAYS run with a dead LP. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so i put a fass 150 titanium series in with 1/2 lines direct into the cp3, but the problem has came back! same issue, my truck runs for awile and drives then you hear it struggling for fuel and it shuts off, turn the key a few times and let the pump run and the truck will start back up and drive awile before dying again..

·
Premium Member
15,610 Posts
so i put a fass 150 titanium series in with 1/2 lines direct into the cp3, but the problem has came back! same issue, my truck runs for awile and drives then you hear it struggling for fuel and it shuts off, turn the key a few times and let the pump run and the truck will start back up and drive awile before dying again..
Did you pull the tank cannister, install a new draw tube, and make sure the basket is not plugged?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you pull the tank cannister, install a new draw tube, and make sure the basket is not plugged?
no, just connected the new 1/2 line. iv ordered a beans diesel sump kit so hopefully that fixes it..

·
Premium Member
15,610 Posts
no, just connected the new 1/2 line. iv ordered a beans diesel sump kit so hopefully that fixes it..
Un-order the sump and get a new cannister from Glacier Diesel. You do not want a sump.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Un-order the sump and get a new cannister from Glacier Diesel. You do not want a sump.
what do you mean by a new cannister? dont see anything like that on there site. also whats wrong with a sump? iv read a ton of good stuff on them?

·
Premium Member
15,610 Posts
Here is what you want Glacier Diesel Power - Product Detail.

What you have read is from peopl that have fixed a problem, not the real story with all th enegatives.

Sumps are fine for truck that only run minimally and in close to perfect conditions, they are useless in adverse condition and less than ideal environments. Aside from putting a huge hole in the tank that ruins it, the fule pickup ends up in the stream of garbage from the road. A good big chunk of ice off the road will destry all your work there. I assume sinc eyou are north of the 45th parallell you are acquainted with ice, snow, and cold. ;)

Second problem is what happens when you start drawing fuel form the bottom of a tank. No matter how careful you are, there WILL be water and contaminants on the bottom of the tank all the time. Add to that, when your temps start dropping under 0 degrees the wax and asphaltenes in the fuel start settling out to the bottom. Filters plug way to easy when sucking all the crud from the bottom. The cannisters suspend the pickup a couple inches off the bottom to keep most of the crap out of the fuel stream.

Like I said ifne for a truck that doesn't run in adverse conditions and the fuel is well filtered but not a good thing for a DD or a cold weather application.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts