Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into tires for my truck. I was going with BFG All Terrain KO. I have been reading about the Toyo MT. I like the aggressive look and could use the extra traction in the winter hunting but dont want a ton of noise like other MT tires i have had in the past.

·
Banned
275 Posts
I have run both and IMO... I HATE TOYO M/T's!!!!! The only thing good I have to say about them is they wear well and look cool. I hate the sound, I hate the ride, I hate the cost, I hate that I got, on 3 separate occasions, small sticks puncturing the side walls....and this is supposed to be an offroad tire! what a joke...go with the BFG...persoanlly though, I'd Say neither...Check out the Mickey Thompson and Dick Cepek Tires, they are the same company...If you like the BFG, you'll love the Dick Cepek Fun Country II, and you like the TOYO you'll love the micket thompson MTZ...thats just my .02 for ya

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I sure hear alot of hype about the Toyo but have allways ran AT BFG. Never had a problem except for the fact they suck in thick mud. Not really mudding the truck much... Just hunting in the winter will get in some bad situations occassionally.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
What size are you looking to get my 315s are small like 33.5 inches tall, but they ride good

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My truck is an 08 2500 mega cab. I really want to leave the truck stock for now but the tires that came with it look really small. If I did anything as far as suspension I would only install the pucks in the front to level it. I dont want to hurt my mileage either so I was thinking 285/70/17 (32.7 tall) or 285/75/17 (33.8 tall). I have a buddy who wants to buy the stock tires so I am trying to decide quickly. The dick Cepecks look good. Any pics of a mega cab stock suspension with 285/70 or 75 ?

·
Banned
5,591 Posts
I have the BFG A/T's on my truck and they are great. I have a 285 set, and a 315 set, depending on the season. Anyway,... I really can barely hear tire noise ever. I like them a lot.

·
Banned
275 Posts
My advice is to get the Dick Cepek Fun Country II....you will be a lot happier, and just a little fyi, get a leveling kit and use the 315/70/17

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With the stock wheels and the 315's will the tires stick out past fenders? If so I will then need flares because I dont want to tear up the truck with rock chips. I drive alot of gravel roads.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I agree with Dunes here....everyone says that the toyo m/ts are so quiet and I disagree....very nice tire but I dont do much offroading and they are noisy.

·
Registered
109 Posts
is there any rubbing whenyou run 315's

·
Registered
174 Posts
I run the BFG A/T's in the summer & Toyo's in the winter. The Toyo is louder & doesn't ride as good as the BFG. Also for some reason the Toyo's seem to pull to the right. A couple of buddy's have the same problem with the Toyo's pulling to the right too. Running 35/12.50/17 Toyo's & 315/70/17 BFG. Myself ,I get about a mile or so better MPG with the BFG's.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I also feel that the toyos pull to the right....kinda weird

·
Registered
450 Posts
go get a set of Nitto terra grapplers 295/70/17 thats what I ran on my stock rims and loved them......!!!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
thats weird that people arent satisfied with the toyos..every I know who has them has loved them and the trucks that have them that I have ridin in have had an improved ride on the road not to mention hardly any noise

·
Registered
427 Posts
go get a set of Nitto terra grapplers 295/70/17 thats what I ran on my stock rims and loved them......!!!
Megaram - my local tire guy said the Nitto Terra Grapplers were too soft and wouldn't last under a 1 ton diesel that pulls a trailer regularly. Hmmm. What did you think of tread wear on them? 295's are the sizes I'd like to get.

My second choice is the Toyo A/T in a 285/75/17 size. (probably what I'll end up with)

I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, just wondering about the tires.

·
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,728 Posts
All the mt's ive ever ran are quieter then my gf :rof so i cant complain , i hate my bfg at's suck in rain and mud and throw rocks like a MOFO :CRY:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Went ahead with the 285/70/17 bfg AT. Truck looks alot better. Rides nice and will work for awhile. I am stuffing money in a rat hole for the Carli starter kit, weld wheels, and 35's. My buddy will buy the BFG's if they have any tread left when I am ready to lift the truck. Discount tire was on the way home and I couldnt stand the way the SRW Mega cab looked on the stock tires. Thanks for all the feed back. As far as a quick review.... The BFG AT looks way more aggressive than the Toyo AT, Easier to find on a Friday at 4:00 than the Fun Country II's. They pick up rocks like crazy, ride good, no noise (new), balanced real well.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Megaram - my local tire guy said the Nitto Terra Grapplers were too soft and wouldn't last under a 1 ton diesel that pulls a trailer regularly. Hmmm. What did you think of tread wear on them? 295's are the sizes I'd like to get.

My second choice is the Toyo A/T in a 285/75/17 size. (probably what I'll end up with)

I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, just wondering about the tires.

I ran two sets of the TG's @ 295/70/17.. I pulled my 30ft Pace, about...11,000lbs... a dozen or so times without any issues.

Look at the 305's if you decide to go with Nitto TG's, they have the same constuction as the Dune Grappler, and Dura Grappler.. "E" rated, and carry 3640lbs per tire.

I would say run the Toyo AT's in a 34X11.5X17. They are a true 10ply unlike anything Nitto makes, share a very similar tread design, and carry 3970 per tire.:thumbsup

·
Registered
427 Posts
The 285/75/17 is the tire for me. Just checking out pricing now.:$:

The extra height without the width and the E rating is very important to me.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you want to run toyos check into the m55. They seem to run pretty good for mileage and are a little quiter. I would stick with the bf though. I spoke with a rep and they are trading out there current MT design to the new design that has been posted on here. Don't ask where the post is but it is on this site or you could go to bf site to see the new design.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts