Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got my 03 dodge cummins 4x4 all stock and im putting in a smarty jr. from what ive read they are on of the best for price. i dont have deep pockets but i was just wondering what i have to have for my truck to be safe with the smart jr on it.:drool2:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
auto. im 18 and have loved trucks forever, im not doing any serious stuff with my truck just on occation pulling a boat. i just wanna have fun with it.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
The '03 came with two types of autos, the 47RE and 48RE. The 48RE can handle around 60hp, up to 100hp if you're easy on it. The 47RE is weaker.

Look at the engine data plate (located on the injection pump) and determine if you have a SO (235 or 250hp) or the HO (305hp). The HO came only with the 48re and the SO will most likely have the 47re.

MikeyB

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
also the 8th position of the VIN number will tell you a "6" is the SO (47re) a "C" is the HO (48re).
I use the Jr and it works great on my '04.5 HO.
Just don't get crazy with the new power (it's not stupid crazy but more than stock) with the auto trans. Too much right foot all the time and the trans will be your next mod.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bro, i just wanna dump on these rich people drivin there bmw and bentlys and . i want dump some coal. im soon gettin a custom exaust with 4 6" black stacks in the bed and a 2.5" levl kit and puttin 35s on it. my goal is far from the other guys on here with wanting 1000hp. i just want smoke and the "dang look at that truck"

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
smarty jr

its the 47re. so whats that gonna do seeing as its not the better one?
All depends on how hard your right foot is going to stomp on your wallet.
Restaint no problem (with prev. maint to the trans) change fluid, keep bands adjusted, etc.
No maint. and a heavy right foot won't last long.
Not to scare you you can run it hard occasionally just not with the skinny pedal firewalled all the time.
remember it's a throttle pedal NOT a toggle switch!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya i deff understand that, i just wanna show off on occation and with gas prices i wont be very much. but with the gauges, i can buy them but then they have to be installed. is that easy to do or do i need to take it somewhere?

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
gauges are relatively easy to install.
Hardest part is drill the exhaust manifold for the EGT gauge.
35's will put more strain on the tranny by the way.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
now is this strain alot alot of strain? is my tranny gonna fall out after a week with my smarty in or is it only if i floor it every day? im trying to figure out whats safe and whats not because if my tranny goes i have no truck lol

·
Registered
120 Posts
There is a sticky in 3rd Gen. performance parts discussion that would help with the gauge install. It is called my gauge install experience.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
smarty jr

now is this strain alot alot of strain? is my tranny gonna fall out after a week with my smarty in or is it only if i floor it every day? im trying to figure out whats safe and whats not because if my tranny goes i have no truck lol
If restaint is shown you will not have any problems.
If not then you'll be riding the shoe leather express.
Common sense will play a BIG part in what happens here.
Anything can be broken, then again anything can be made to last forever IF it's taken care of properly.

Reactions: newkid24

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ya im spending all this money and im not throwing it away, thanks man. oh one more question, with my custom stacks im making its gonna have 4 pipes and you think ill have a problem with the flow in each pipe?

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
pipes

ya im spending all this money and im not throwing it away, thanks man. oh one more question, with my custom stacks im making its gonna have 4 pipes and you think ill have a problem with the flow in each pipe?
I don't know how you planned on doing it but in order to make it look like same amount of exhaust is coming from each tube, I would recommend running the normal split exhaust under the truck and up through the bed. At that point (once in the bed) split each pipes (Y) into your 2 stacks.
Basically you'll have 3 Y's, 1 under the truck and 2 in the bed.
I think you'll get the best results this way.
Generally speaking the further you are away from the exhaust pipe the less flow you will "see" with the bigger pipes.

·
Registered
349 Posts
so in my stock 06 i should have a 48re then right?

·
World Champs!!!
24,232 Posts
Don't expect to stomp BMW's and Bentleys. They'll light your a$$ on fire.

Couple things. It's an 03. With a Smarty Jr. And a stock auto. Now, say you build the trans, and step up to Smarty TNT, and even 50-90hp nozzles, and it'll be a whole other game. I just don't want you expecting it to be blazingly fast and get disappointed. It'll move out pretty well as-is though.

The trans will need some attention sooner or later. How much later depends on two factors: how it was used and maintained by the previous owner(s), and how you drive it. It could last 30 minutes, it could last 30 days, it could last a year or more. But it WILL need attention, and then you can enjoy it.

·
Your Delightfully Ginger Kentucky President
3,754 Posts
Don't spend so much on custom stacks, then you can put that extra money in the tranny, then not have to worry as much about transmission issues.

·
Registered
585 Posts
bro, i just wanna dump on these rich people drivin there bmw and bentlys and . i want dump some coal. im soon gettin a custom exaust with 4 6" black stacks in the bed and a 2.5" levl kit and puttin 35s on it. my goal is far from the other guys on here with wanting 1000hp. i just want smoke and the "dang look at that truck"

Smarty jr ... rolling coal... Ur gonna be dissipointed ......:hehe:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.