Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about selling my 02 for an 06.

I currently run dipricol gauges; tranny, boost, egt, and fp

If I get an 06 with an auto I know I will get the tranny, boost, and egt, but do I need a fp gauge on the newer common rails?

Haven't decided if I am going to let the gauges go with the 02 or not, but if I do let them go with it I need to know what all to buy when I get the new ride.

·
2,248 Posts
I would run a fuel psi gauge even with a 3rd gen. The lift pumps are not that great especially when you start throwing performance electronics and other parts on the truck. If its stock, you could get away with not running it. The more gauges the better.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would run a fuel psi gauge even with a 3rd gen. The lift pumps are not that great especially when you start throwing performance electronics and other parts on the truck. If its stock, you could get away with not running it. The more gauges the better.
That is my thought. I feel naked when I drive a truck with no gauges.

Looks like I will be rocking atleast 4 gauges in the new truck unless I get my wish and get a 6 spd

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
I would run, Boost, EGT, FP, Tranny Temp, and Rail Pressure

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Rail pressure was my next question.

I don't plan on modding it much, maybe a small box for mileage, but nothing major. Use the truck to tow my TT and my off road toys, but maily for DD duties.

What are normal specs for fuel pressure on the CR's as well as the RP?

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
RP stock wide open no more than about 23K or so...with the smarty Revo I run about 20K cruising at 70MPH

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
you should idle about 6-7K and cruise about 17-18K on a stock truck

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thats what I run right now plus a drive pressure gauge. I will be adding a temp gauge for the rear sometime soon

·
Registered
55 Posts
RP is good as you up your power levels... I did all sorts of mods and stopped gettign gains after a while because I assumed I had good RP. I got a guage and noticed I was only making 10K @ WOT (still had good power) but once I put on the dual CP3s.. wow

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
RP is good as you up your power levels... I did all sorts of mods and stopped gettign gains after a while because I assumed I had good RP. I got a guage and noticed I was only making 10K @ WOT (still had good power) but once I put on the dual CP3s.. wow
You are correct that RP gauge is real important.... Even if you're not adding big power it can help you diagnose problems if you're having them.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
No you dont need fuel pressure on the common rail. They not like the VP trucks
Oh no the lift pump on the 03-04.5 is VERY failure prone and Dodge no longer makes it. I had two LPs fail on me before I got my FASS HPFP. Anyways at bare minimum a boost and a pyro, I would go with a 60lb boost gauge since the Common Rails can push good boost from the factory. Fuel pressure would be next up and then if you want a rail pressure gauge, while informative is more of a luxury if you don't have a pressure box/CP3/injector mods. Nice if you have it, not the end of the world if you don't.

Now...I have 7 gauges

boost/pyro/trans/fuel pressure/rail pressure/intake air temp and oil temp (off my attitude monitor) do I need all those no...does it help...yes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts