Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Hootie Hooo!!!
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having to pull the head on my truck because I have an intake valve that is making to much noise for my comfort. I am very happy with the power my truck has. But since we are pulling the head on it I am curious as to what everyone thinks would be the best mods to my head with my particular setup? Should I o-ring, fire-ring, port and polish, just slap some new valves in there, shave the intake plenum off? Please let me know what you think would be the best mods to my head to get more power but more so for reliability than anything else. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I would at least port and polish since you'll have it off.

·
Hootie Hooo!!!
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spoke with ZZ Fabrications and they told me porting and polishing was almost pointless unless I shaved the intake off and put another one on. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
how did you know your intake valve was bad? what do they sound like?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
If you have the dough I would do it all! Why not if its off the engine already. If your on a budget do what you can with what you got. Maybe fire ring it, valve job, springs, and drill thread and plug the freeze plug holes on top of the head.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Spoke with ZZ Fabrications and they told me porting and polishing was almost pointless unless I shaved the intake off and put another one on. What do you think?
this sounds like they want you to send them your head and spend over 1k to mill the intake off, do the required taps, and port it. that doesnt include valve job. . .

you can reach 70-80% of the head without millint the intake off. the intake runners are the least important part of a head port job on a forced induction application. anyone who tells you its not worth porting w/o doing them is a)lying or b)has no idea what theyre talkin about.

you can port it in your garage, but ya gotta do a valve job which seems like oyu were aimin toward anyway. o-rings are a good idea also, "while its off its a misewell".

btw the spool aid is a cheap alternative to a higher flowin intake.

and yes, with the mods you have you will be amazed at the difference in spool. might not notice as much on the top end (if youre smokin at WOT youll def notice a difference), but youll love how your turbos light. i, personally, dont think the gains of millin the intake is worth the cost. and it can be dangerous, as many heads have been ruined w/ all those extra taps required for removable intake. but, theres no doubt that a little power is to be had w/ a better desined intake/access to the intake runners blah blah blah (not much on forced induction). it all depends on how deep your pocket goes, but i'd port it in your garage and call it a build.

Reactions: hpstran

·
Hootie Hooo!!!
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how did you know your intake valve was bad? what do they sound like?
We pulled the valve cover off and checked everything out and figured that the intake valve over cylinder # 3 was what was making the noise. You can watch the video in this link and hear the noise if you are just curious.
http://s725.photobucket.com/albums/ww260/shanehpstran/Industrial%20Injection%20Cummins%20Twin%20Turbo%20Project/?action=view&current=Truckrunningwithoutexhaustafterturboinstall.mp4

The popping noise you hear coming from the intake is what started the concern for us to find out exactly what it was.

·
Hootie Hooo!!!
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you have the dough I would do it all! Why not if its off the engine already. If your on a budget do what you can with what you got. Maybe fire ring it, valve job, springs, and drill thread and plug the freeze plug holes on top of the head.
I've already got the hamilton springs so I am golden there. But I feel like after my research that orings would be more reliable for me?

·
Hootie Hooo!!!
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this sounds like they want you to send them your head and spend over 1k to mill the intake off, do the required taps, and port it. that doesnt include valve job. . .

you can reach 70-80% of the head without millint the intake off. the intake runners are the least important part of a head port job on a forced induction application. anyone who tells you its not worth porting w/o doing them is a)lying or b)has no idea what theyre talkin about.

you can port it in your garage, but ya gotta do a valve job which seems like oyu were aimin toward anyway. o-rings are a good idea also, "while its off its a misewell".

btw the spool aid is a cheap alternative to a higher flowin intake.

and yes, with the mods you have you will be amazed at the difference in spool. might not notice as much on the top end (if youre smokin at WOT youll def notice a difference), but youll love how your turbos light. i, personally, dont think the gains of millin the intake is worth the cost. and it can be dangerous, as many heads have been ruined w/ all those extra taps required for removable intake. but, theres no doubt that a little power is to be had w/ a better desined intake/access to the intake runners blah blah blah (not much on forced induction). it all depends on how deep your pocket goes, but i'd port it in your garage and call it a build.
Thanks for all the info! I am tending to agree with you on milling the intake off and haven't really researched any spool aids yet. As for porting I have zero experience in that department and want to leave it to a professional if possible. Is there any spool aid you recommend in particular? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I've already got the hamilton springs so I am golden there. But I feel like after my research that orings would be more reliable for me?
people have varying success with orings. someone whos done a lot of them will tell ya they are the way to go, and they are prob right. i think other factors influence failure after o rings, like poor machining. when ya talk to a machine shop and tell them ya want orings, and they say "o-what?" then ya know to steer clear. i'd o ring it.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Thanks for all the info! I am tending to agree with you on milling the intake off and haven't really researched any spool aids yet. As for porting I have zero experience in that department and want to leave it to a professional if possible. Is there any spool aid you recommend in particular? Thanks!
all the spool aids are the same in theory. they uncork the 1st and last freeze plug on the head and plumb extra air tubes runnin to the intake tract. search it on here im sure it will pop right up.

as for the porting, if ya have the tools i.e. electric die grinder or an air grinder, its pretty simple but very time consuming. i could walk ya through it w/ pics if ya wanted to go that route. if ya dont feel comfortable or just dont wanna mess with it (it really is tedious and takes forever) then you'd be lookin around 500 or even a grand for a pro to do it.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
If I ever have to take my head off I will be fire ringing it, porting it, and tapping and pluging the water ports. It seams the head is not fun to take off so I only want to do it once! BTW is there a difference between fire ring and o-ring or are we talking about the same thing?

·
Hootie Hooo!!!
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I ever have to take my head off I will be fire ringing it, porting it, and tapping and pluging the water ports. It seams the head is not fun to take off so I only want to do it once! BTW is there a difference between fire ring and o-ring or are we talking about the same thing?
there is a difference and when I did my research it seemed that the fire ringing was for the guys that do some serious boost...like somewhere around 80+lbs and that the fire rings don't seem to last as long from what it sounds like

Reactions: justjoe

·
Hootie Hooo!!!
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks side2000! I think I am going to try and have a pro do it so now I just need to try and find one that is comfortable with o-rings and port and polishing it for me. And hopefully the valve job will take care of the noise that I am concerned about and there are no other problems---which I guess we will see once we get the head off! Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
i can only imagine its your valve seat is beat up/gettin loose. curious to see what ya find in there, but there are ways to help keep a seat in place. im sure the machine shop is aware of the tricks to keep em in, all ya need is a punch. ask them about what they do to help keep things tight at the valve seat.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
yeah definitly get new seats pressed in or staked in as well

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
the reason its pointless to port a head with the stock intake is the fact, one you cant reach the runners and two i dont care how big a room in your home is, if the front door is to small to get inside then its wasted space. same thing with the head. and zz is one of the top shops in the country for head work so if greg tells you something its from experence. if it were me i pipe plug the head and be done with it. your not gonig to make huge power and i dont see the need for the money it costs to port the head (done right) and buy a custom intake. as far doing it in your garage you can try that but the cfms you will pick up with be minimal without opening up the intake.

·
Hootie Hooo!!!
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
what is the address for zz fabrications? And I would really like to see proof of a difference in doing that much work to my head before I do it as well as reliability concerns.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
i love my head looks killer had the works done to mine full race port, plugs installed, intake, valves the whole 9.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts