1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
317 Posts
Tried this exact piece and honestly it's a pretty cheap piece. Are you trying to bypass the stock fusable links? Or just trying to connect additional ring terminals?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried this exact piece and honestly it's a pretty cheap piece. Are you trying to bypass the stock disable links? Or just trying to connect additional ring terminals?

Just trying to add more ring terminals. It bugs me having them on the battery terminals. Plus some of them are corroded. I have read a couple good threads on replacing the links, but not planning at that at this time.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Just trying to add more ring terminals. It bugs me having them on the battery terminals. Plus some of them are corroded. I have read a couple good threads on replacing the links, but not planning at that at this time.
I gotcha, and sorry for some reason my phone changed fusible to disable.

Either way, what you're looking for is usually called a bus bar. I tried that exact piece you linked and never used it because it's just too cheap feeling for me. What kind of stuff are you trying to put on it? High or low amp?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd say 30 amps. I just ordered all the parts to do Jim Lane blower motor upgrade. That's why I'm thinking about upgrading to a buss bar at the moment. Thanks for telling me about that part. That's a bummer!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
One can pretty easily mount a Ford style starter relay on the inner fender. It doesn't even have to work. But it does give you a nicely insulated stud to connect the ring terminals to.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Go to a marina. You can get really nice buss bars, terminals, lugs. Whatever you need. Boating stuff is pretty good quality.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Delcity has insulated studs that can be mounted on a flat surface for such a need.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Go to a marina. You can get really nice buss bars, terminals, lugs. Whatever you need. Boating stuff is pretty good quality.

Great idea!(y)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Delcity has insulated studs that can be mounted on a flat surface for such a need.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tanks, i'll check them out.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Older square body Chevy trucks had a insulated two prong buss under the hood. I grabbed a few from the local wrecking hards and put one under my dash and also under the hood.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Older square body Chevy trucks had a insulated two prong buss under the hood. I grabbed a few from the local wrecking hards and put one under my dash and also under the hood.

Dang good to know, Some the bus bars are pretty expensive at Delcity. The busssed terminal strips however are only a few bucks each.

Actually here they are. More 15 bucks. That's not bad. Del City - Item #: 80546

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not a diesel, but I did some re-wiring on my '73 W200 crew gasser this winter, and used these marine buss bars I bought off Amazon for both power distribution and to add more grounds in my system, and keep it all off the battery lugs. I also bought an inexpensive, weather-proof relay box to hold some Bosch 4-prong relays, and put my blower motor on relays (only has off-lo-hi in these years), as well as putting an external fuse box under the hood. These, along with my headlight relay setup, get power from these buss bars. I DID run the feed power for the buss bars for power off the alternator stud, instead of the battery post. These buss bars are designed for a marine environment, and do have covers, and have a lot of good reviews.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not a diesel, but I did some re-wiring on my '73 W200 crew gasser this winter, and used these marine buss bars I bought off Amazon for both power distribution and to add more grounds in my system, and keep it all off the battery lugs. I also bought an inexpensive, weather-proof relay box to hold some Bosch 4-prong relays, and put my blower motor on relays (only has off-lo-hi in these years), as well as putting an external fuse box under the hood. These, along with my headlight relay setup, get power from these buss bars. I DID run the feed power for the buss bars for power off the alternator stud, instead of the battery post. These buss bars are designed for a marine environment, and do have covers, and have a lot of good reviews.

That's awesome! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Agreed on the marine stuff. I like Blue Sea when I go that route.

I've been using military style terminals so far on my Dodges.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
That's pretty cool. I'd have to replace the cables though or put new ends on them.
I crimped the ends in-place. Save the labour...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
The cheapo hammer type. Does the job. Same as this:

I now see the hydraulic crimpers are getting really affordable. (i.e. Amazon, etc.)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The cheapo hammer type. Does the job. Same as this:

I now see the hydraulic crimpers are getting really affordable. (i.e. Amazon, etc.)
Hey thanks, I was thinking the hammer style. Maybe I'll check out the crimpers. I love buying tools I only use once😁

1 - 20 of 20 Posts