Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two scenarios here.

A. If you were to just take a 5 tbe from a 5.9 and bolt it up to a 6.7. i know it will throw a code but will it run fine w/o a fooler box as long as you weld in sensors.

B. just cut out the one cat and dpf and replace it with straight pipe and weld in sensors...

the reason i am asking is b/c a local did option B. and truck has been like that for 23k miles and just throws a check engine light but runs fine... he claims a little better and he said he picked up 4.5 mpg.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
Seems that all have done this before have had their trucks put into limp mode which requires at minimum a trip to the dealer to fix and in some cases a new ECM. I would say that your friend is lucky or has a fooler box and isnt telling anyone. I sure as heck wouldnt try it on my rig.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems that all have done this before have had their trucks put into limp mode which requires at minimum a trip to the dealer to fix and in some cases a new ECM. I would say that your friend is lucky or has a fooler box and isnt telling anyone. I sure as heck wouldnt try it on my rig.
so what acutally causes them to go into limp mode

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
just the fact the computer dont recognize the senors reading right such as air pressure and what i think but its all in the computer as far as what those sensors tell it thats why they need to be fooled

·
Premium Member
8,550 Posts
you will be fine just throwing a 5.9 exhaust on and put your sensors on it will throw 2 codes more than likely and derate you engine but with a programmer you really wont be able to tell it will not screw up your ecm if so you dealer just screwed you into buying one. I was one of the first ones to strait pipe a 6.7 and ran mine quite a while like this when I first bought the truck over a year ago. I did notice a lot better fuel milage that way also. When you do want to get the fooler box you will need to have a starscan hooked up and every thing reset more than likely at the dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you will be fine just throwing a 5.9 exhaust on and put your sensors on it will throw 2 codes more than likely and derate you engine but with a programmer you really wont be able to tell it will not screw up your ecm if so you dealer just screwed you into buying one. I was one of the first ones to strait pipe a 6.7 and ran mine quite a while like this when I first bought the truck over a year ago. I did notice a lot better fuel milage that way also. When you do want to get the fooler box you will need to have a starscan hooked up and every thing reset more than likely at the dealer.
when you say derate. you mean lose power right.. what is derating

·
Registered
721 Posts
It will be SLOOOOOOWWWWWW. I know cause I did the same thing. Once you buck up and get the fooler kit, you'll either have to put your DPF on or go to Crysler to fix the Derating problem. It's defidently worth the money to get a fooler from one of the greatest companys that on earth. H&S or BADP. You spent 40k or more, get the fooler box. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
395 Posts
yeah man don't even try it cause it will end up costing you more in the long run. just get the fooler box, you will be much happier. trust us...we've heard it all lol.

·
Registered
20 Posts
one other thing if you cut the cat and dpf out and put a strait pipe in place and weld in sensor bungs, you still have the reatarted filter in your down pipe thats going to restrict it to.

·
Premium Member
8,550 Posts
yes it will lose power but with a programmer or chip you will not notice it very much, if you are stock then yes it is gutless, I have not heard of any problems doing this, if you have heard of problems give some examples

1 - 11 of 11 Posts