Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to post this, but it's here til someone moves it!!!

I'm thinking about a portable GPS to use in my truck and on my quad and Jeep. I want something easy to use, color screen, and affordable (like under $250).
What do you have and do you like it? Is there one out there that you would rather have? Thanks for all the info guys!!!:thumbsup

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far, I kinda like the Magellan brand. There's some pretty good deals on Ebay for them. I'm an idiot when it comes to GPS stuff. I've never touched it. Never needed to. Not sure if all brands have it, but I really like the touch screens.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hands down GARMIN!!! You absolutly will not go wrong with Garmin. If you want an in cab one go with the Nuvi 750 or 760 (top of the line). You can get them on Ebay for $300-$400. With GPS "you get what you pay for." If you want "hand held" get a Vista Cx. These are great systems that you'll be very happy with. Again if you go cheap that's exactly what you'll get!!!

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I use a Garmen its great and easy to use!

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK. Cool. Yeah I want a handheld one "I think" so I can carry it from one vehicle to another. So I can give it to the wife so she won't get lost!! It's amazing how forgetful women get while they're pregnant!!!! I don't need anything fancy or with alot of bells and whistles, just the basic turn by turn.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
OK. Cool. Yeah I want a handheld one "I think" so I can carry it from one vehicle to another. So I can give it to the wife so she won't get lost!! It's amazing how forgetful women get while they're pregnant!!!! I don't need anything fancy or with alot of bells and whistles, just the basic turn by turn.
You can switch vehicles with the Nuvi. By handheld I mean one that you can use for hunting or hiking. The Nuvi 750 will be cheaper than the 760 and the voice will say the street names instead of saying that the turn is in so many feet. It is much better, trust me. Whatever you get make sure it's a Garmin.

·
Registered
64 Posts
+1 for Garmin... I've had mine for over 2 years and it's still going strong... The prices are dropping big time now too, mine is a C330 and I paid $600 for it, the newer ones are better with more POI's and they are a lot cheaper...

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have laptop mounts in both of our vehicles...we use Delorme software with a USB GPS antenna.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the hand held would be best for on the quads, that way I can tuck it in a pocket or bag to keep it dry. Sound like a logical reason?

·
Registered
154 Posts
i have the via michellin and its a really nice unit i got it on sale for 200 and it was a great deal its just kinda hard to get used to but maybe thats cause i dont use it enough.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I think the hand held would be best for on the quads, that way I can tuck it in a pocket or bag to keep it dry. Sound like a logical reason?
Yes, very logical. The hand helds are more a little harder to use while driving but are much more portable. However, you need to buy a map of your preference that will run about $100. It comes with a basemap w/main roads but if you want more detail you need another map. It uses Micro SD chips that just plug and play. If you go to Garmin.com there is lots of info. When you're ready to buy check EBay and megagps.com they have the best deals.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I've been looking on ebay. There's some terrific deals on gps there! Thanks guys! Keep the replies coming!

·
Skrew- EPA CARB OPEC PETA
1,577 Posts
I use my factory unit. Its not the best, but it works!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Cant go wrong with the TomTom, according to the consumer reports they are the best and have the most updated maps. I got mine the day after t-giving from best buy for $115 and it works perfect.

·
Registered
240 Posts
garmin, both in-cab portable and handheld for the four-wheelers. both work great.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I just got the Garmin GPSMAP 60 CSx. Its my first GPS, and I love it. The unit cost about $300 off ebay, and then I bought the garmin us topo 2008 off amazon for $70, I think. I also have a handlebar mount for the quad, and windshield mount. It wont give directions through voice though. So far its awesome. It has the color screen, and a bunch of other stuff I havent messed around with too much.
I'll get some pics of it when I get home, it also has a pretty good battery life, I have been surprised.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess after looking at the "handheld" I think I want the more square framed with just the screen on it. No what I mean? I guess that'd be a regular style? Like the the way Garmin 200 through 800 series looks. Hell I don't know what features I need or want or anything.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I vote Garmin too. I have a 60CS I use on my motorcycle, truck, mountain bike, and for geocaching / hiking. The customer support is second to none and the software for topo and city navigation is outstanding. Go Garmin or get lost! :lol3:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts