Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,well i finally did some hookin up to other trucks on topsoil and packed clay,and man ol man what a rush!I pulled 2 duramaxs both 2005,7.3 powerchoke1996,6.0 powerchoke 2006,1979 chevy one ton 454,2002 chevy 6.0 gasser.and i pulled them like they werent even back there!one duramax had efi live and all others were stock,i was in 4 low..3rd gear and could drag all of them until i decided to stop.....im pretty stoked right now and our local fair is coming up and i wanted to hook to the sled to see what she would do and was wondering what gear,tire pressure,4 hi or 4 low and any other hints or advice some of u guys could give me. i dont have a 53 block it already cracked and has been replaced.thnx

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've not done that much sled pulling but I found it works best so far in low range, 3rd gear. Next time out I am going to try 4th, which should work well if I can pull away without too much bouncing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what gears? i would say 3rd low, 4th low, or 2nd high!
what would be best i know im gonna need some speed and i was thinkin 2nd high but 3rd or 4th low would probally be better without breaking anything wouldnt it?and with all my stuff i have done to it does anybody know what kinda realistic hp/torq im hitting?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've not done that much sled pulling but I found it works best so far in low range, 3rd gear. Next time out I am going to try 4th, which should work well if I can pull away without too much bouncing.
would it help w/the bouncing if i aired down the tires i do have beadlocks on em,or would i get to much traction?my tires ar fairly aggresive

·
Banned
4,306 Posts
Stay away from third gear, I blew third out twice before. If you look at the counter shaft, 3rd gear is the weakest link. Go with 2nd HI on tight tracks, 4th low on loose tracks & you will do well. The link in my sig was 2nd HI with a heavy sled.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Stay away from third gear, I blew third out twice before. If you look at the counter shaft, 3rd gear is the weakest link. Go with 2nd HI on tight tracks, 4th low on loose tracks & you will do well. The link in my sig was 2nd HI with a heavy sled.
I was advised to stay away from hi-range by the guys at the pulls I went to, although I must admit I couldn't see what difference it would make given that some of the gears overlap in any case. Is 3rd still a weak link in the 6 speed boxes?

Next time out I'll try your stategy, sounds like a good one.

·
Banned
4,306 Posts
I was advised to stay away from hi-range by the guys at the pulls I went to, although I must admit I couldn't see what difference it would make given that some of the gears overlap in any case. Is 3rd still a weak link in the 6 speed boxes?

Next time out I'll try your stategy, sounds like a good one.
I've seen the insides of these 5 speed trannies many times. 2nd gear is twice as strong as 3rd.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I've got a 01 with a 6 speed. What gear do i need to run in? High or Low? Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts