Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm running 37" Toyo open country RTs. I had 4.10s put in and have no complaints. need to update my info so it shows 37s

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
More questions for the experts.

After break in, do I need to change front and rear oil?

What oil do yall reccomend as well?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
4.10's are installed and I'm now breaking them in. I can tell immediately they are making a difference as the same hills I climb on a regular basis no longer require a downshift to maintain speed.

Looking forward to my first trip with the trailer.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Copy on the above.

Once I regear...do I need to do anything on the trans relearn or just drive and service oil.
No further programming required. Your trans will continue to function and operate the way it was designed to except now there will be less stress on your drivetrain.
Thanks for the confirmation.

4.10's are installed and I'm now breaking them in. I can tell immediately they are making a difference as the same hills I climb on a regular basis no longer require a downshift to maintain speed.

Looking forward to my first trip with the trailer.
What brand and gear ratio you go with?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I also have an anti-spin...do I need to add any additive?
No additive needed. I think some come with LSD. That’s ok too.
Thanks for the info.

When I get regeared....can I just use some cheap Walmart oil since I will be changing the next 500 miles after break in?

After break in....how many miles for the next gear oil change?

Thanks

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Just dropped my truck off today for gear install. Am I able to drive 70 to 75 during the break in period?

Really excited to see performance gains after regear.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Talk to your installer. When I had my Jeep regeared they told me to do short trips the first few hundred miles. The short heat/cool cycles help harden the gears is what they told me.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
Thanks for the info.

When I get regeared....can I just use some cheap Walmart oil since I will be changing the next 500 miles after break in?

After break in....how many miles for the next gear oil change?

Thanks
Just dropped my truck off today for gear install. Am I able to drive 70 to 75 during the break in period?

Really excited to see performance gains after regear.
Sorry forgot to respond.

I wouldn’t go full blown cheap if you’re referring to store brand oil. But that’s just me. Regular, lesser expensive stuff is what I would use for before and after.

As for highways speed that’s not the issue. The issue is sustained highway speeds after initial break in. Initial break in you’ll want to heat em up and cool em down as often as you can. Short trips/stop and go traffic do that. It’s called “work hardening” where you essentially harden the metal from heat cycles.

Now I myself am guilty of sustained highway speeds as my installer lived on the other side of town and I had no choice. So I drove a bit below the speed limit and coasted as often as I could. That’s just me.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thank you both for the info and reply.

Dropped the truck off today and went with Mobile 1 synthetic.

Looking forward to picking her up later in the week.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
mine goes in Tuesday for 4.10s, should have it back later that day. :)

also, i understand there is no transmission programming that needs to be done for the gear change, how about ABS modules or anything else?
Anything that needs to be done using Alpha?

21 - 40 of 122 Posts