Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK pretty much as it say's there fellas

What is full on the stick? either someone overfilled my truck or something is adding to it (little guy's at night)...or full on my stick is where it is, covering the entire white bulb at the end of the stick.....

·
Registered
287 Posts
Tranny motor what???

·
Registered
155 Posts
Motor.......

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,910 Posts
If it is a 6.7 many have reported that they are getting excessive fuel in the oil from the regen process. Fill in your sig so we know what kind of truck you have.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Mine went up over the end of the dipstick after 300 miles and 2 regens, oddly though it seems to go to a point and then stop gaining otherwise after 3000 miles I should have a crankcase full of fuel with a little bit of oil mixed in.

I let it drain for a few hours and then threw exactly 3 gallons minus the filter prime capacity in it which after a ride around the block set the oil level at bit past 3/4 into the safe zone.

Waiting on the oil analysis results from the first change.

·
Banned
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine went up over the end of the dipstick after 300 miles and 2 regens, oddly though it seems to go to a point and then stop gaining otherwise after 3000 miles I should have a crankcase full of fuel with a little bit of oil mixed in.

I let it drain for a few hours and then threw exactly 3 gallons minus the filter prime capacity in it which after a ride around the block set the oil level at bit past 3/4 into the safe zone.

Waiting on the oil analysis results from the first change.

So then im way over and worse it could be fuel making it over full and not someone at cummins or dodge was giving me extra oil at no cost to me...

I have litterally heard when it goes into regen, the motor gets a different tune and you can cook off the tail pipe

My white bulb at the end of the corded stick, only says safe, no low or full marks...the safe zone is about .825" to 1.0" long and im over the safe zone and just about over the entire damn bulb... Not even 1500 miles yet...

So i think i gotta lose the dpf and egr stuff now rather then wait to 3k miles

·
Banned
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it is a 6.7

I did post in the 6.7 section, i figured we would all know it was 6.7..

bahrfly said:
Tranny motor what???
Tranny doesn't have a white bulb, tranny has a regular steel stick with holes and knotches...

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I have litterally heard when it goes into regen, the motor gets a different tune and you can cook off the tail pipe
Do the burning paper trick - it's fun. :D

The plants behind the parking spot that I back into at my house are scorched from parking during a regen while going up a few miles of hills.

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,910 Posts
I did post in the 6.7 section, i figured we would all know it was 6.7..

Brilliant, I have this whole problem with reading some times...comes with growin up in the middle of a corn field I guess.

·
Banned
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do the burning paper trick - it's fun. :D

The plants behind the parking spot that I back into at my house are scorched from parking during a regen while going up a few miles of hills.
I believe you, the 1st time i noticed it was i rolled up to a light and then all of a sudden it gets that diesel truck motor sound..i jumped out quick to see what the exhaust was like... and then i noticed i could cook off the temp of the exhaust at the tail....

Then i noticed the fuel guage and i thought i was driving a 426 hemi back in the late 60's hard on the gas.....

·
Registered
316 Posts
There have been a few reports of excessive amounts of fuel in the oil. However, most who have had their oil tested show no such thing. I don't feel the problem is with oil level rising but the dip stick is way off! 3 gallons seems to put the level way over the full mark.

·
Banned
706 Posts
It might be your dipstick. With 12 quarts mine is a little below the top of safe w/out oil in the filter before startup? Might have to compare them w/another 6.7 pods you know. Other than that you may be right!
chris

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
This morning I drove mine around town for a bit and then parked it on the level - waited an hour and then checked it 3 times (wiped between checks) then I BSed with a neighbor for 30 minutes and checked it again - I noticed that after each check a gap was forming between the full mark at the top of the stick and the rest of the oil on top, 10 more check n wipes and there is now a noticeable gap between the full marker and the rest of the oil on the top.

There is still more oil in there than I saw when I checked it after the first oil change but it is only a tad over the full mark then there is a clean gap and then more oil to the end of the plastic.

(I know about macro mode just forgot to use it)

·
Registered
707 Posts
OK pretty much as it say's there fellas

What is full on the stick? either someone overfilled my truck or something is adding to it (little guy's at night)...or full on my stick is where it is, covering the entire white bulb at the end of the stick.....
I noticed this on my truck as well. Turns out, the level on the stick depends on how warm the truck is. When I check it in the morning, before starting it, oil is in the normal range. If I check it after driving around, it ia way over the full mark, at the end of the white part like you said. The longer I wait after having it running, the lower the oil level will read. Try checking it in the morning before you start it...manual says this is the prefered method...see if it's any different.

·
Banned
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll try that and see, it'll make me feel a lot better if the heat expands it that much....rather that then having another .5 gallon of fuel where it doesn't belong

·
Banned
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This morning I drove mine around town for a bit and then parked it on the level - waited an hour and then checked it 3 times (wiped between checks) then I BSed with a neighbor for 30 minutes and checked it again - I noticed that after each check a gap was forming between the full mark at the top of the stick and the rest of the oil on top, 10 more check n wipes and there is now a noticeable gap between the full marker and the rest of the oil on the top.

There is still more oil in there than I saw when I checked it after the first oil change but it is only a tad over the full mark then there is a clean gap and then more oil to the end of the plastic.

(I know about macro mode just forgot to use it)

Now looking at your stick i see you have knotches making it have levels to go by (makes a note to steal slags better dip stick), mine doesn't have that, it has a 1" section that says S A F E thru it....but saying your holding my stick (no pun intended) the oil is about 1/8" from the cable.....

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
(makes a note to steal slags better dip stick),
:lol3:

While you're doing that I'll make sure to steal your better steering setup... if you have a 4x4. :D

I was going to do a drain down on mine but it appears to be close enough to the full line to not worry about it, leaving tomorrow for 800 or so miles of fun and games (and lots of regens) so we'll see where it is when I get back.

Sadly I can't do a cold check because I live in hillville where the only flat ground happens to be right in the middle of my street.

·
Banned
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol... well, you win, your dip stick won't do me any good without steering....

·
Banned
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fully cold that stick is showing high still..... so i guess im changin some oil this weekend...or should i say oil and fuel... sob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts