Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck squeals only on shut off. when i turn the truck off it makes a squel type noise, so i replaced the serpentine belt thinking that was the problem but it still makes the noise on shut off? what else could it be? thanks for the help :thumbsup:

·
Registered
655 Posts
I know the noise...it's sort of a Cummins trademark. I figure it's the motor stopping and the belt barks on tensioner when it sorta rolls backwards. Everything else wants to keep moving, but these things stop pretty darn quick!

Reactions: Jim L

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
really. that sucks, so there is nothing i can do about it?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
It's like your running shoes on a gym floor...the crank stops so quickly that the momentum of the accessories causes the belt to "slip" a tiny amount on the pulley. Try holding a bar of sunlight soap (or any non-lotion bar soap) on the belt while it's running, then shut it off and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've heard of guys having luck with brand new belt and tensioner.but like said above kind of just a cumins thing. I've drove new trucks on the lot that have done it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
As long as you are only hearing a chirp on shutdown there is nothing wrong with your engine, do not attempt to fix it, you are hearing the coveted Cummins Chirp, because of the high compression and the inline design when the fuel is removed the engine comes to an abrupt stop long before all of the accessories have a chance to follow and what you hare is the belt slipping the pulleys until they come to a stop.

It has been around since the birth of the Turbodiesel Ram and there is a TSB about it, although they thought it was the paint on the pulleys but doubt if any of the original paint still exist.

TSB 07-05-91

The Cummins Chirp is nothing to be ashamed of, it is our trademark sound along with the unmistakable clatter of an inline.

When I pull into a fast food drive through they already know my order as soon as they hear my chirp.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts