Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in central Texas and was wondering what the law says about the DPF delete. The only one who would know would be the inspection place and the dealer if taken there.
Are there laws either current now or in the near future that would outlaw all the deletes going on out there??
I really want a new Cummins but I am concerned because it sounds like if you don't plan on deleteing, don't bother buying the 6.7.
What di you guys think??
Thanks from a newbie.

Doug S

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I live in central Texas and was wondering what the law says about the DPF delete. The only one who would know would be the inspection place and the dealer if taken there.
Are there laws either current now or in the near future that would outlaw all the deletes going on out there??
I really want a new Cummins but I am concerned because it sounds like if you don't plan on deleteing, don't bother buying the 6.7.
What di you guys think??
Thanks from a newbie.

Doug S
the law is basically don't screw with it. but, as stated above, Texas is a safety inspection only for diesels. no emissions. i will be honest, i've owned several diesels, and if i were buying any of the big three now, i'd delete the emissions system. it's the only way these rigs are going to last as long and trouble free as the old days. egr systems and dpf's KILL diesel motors. what part of Austin are you in? i live out in the Cedar Park-Leander area.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I can't speak for stateside but in Canada it is federal law that you can not remove or tamper with any piece of emissions equipment of a regulated vehicle - which is all highway and most off-road - even though inspections are provincial. (I thought it was the same there.) But that's not stopping us from taking them off anyway.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
I can't speak for stateside but in Canada it is federal law that you can not remove or tamper with any piece of emissions equipment of a regulated vehicle - which is all highway and most off-road - even though inspections are provincial. (I thought it was the same there.) But that's not stopping us from taking them off anyway.
It's the same in the U.S. Also, federal law states it is illegal to tamper with or remove any noise control device, such as airbox, fan, shroud, silencer ring, muffler. But we do it anyway.:eek:

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I had called the local muffler shop that also does inspectioins and they told me that it was a visual inspection to. Not only did my truck have to pass the safety inspection but he was going to look to make sure I had my DPF and EGR. He didn't say anything about it having to actually work.:hehe:

·
Registered
27 Posts
They have no legislation in alberta

"4.9 Alberta
4.9.1 Anti-Tampering Legislation and Enforcement
Currently the province of Alberta does not have vehicle emissions control component antitampering
legislation. The Clean Air Strategic Alliance (CASA) has made recommendations to
the Alberta Ministry of Transportation to incorporate anti-tampering into the Alberta Traffic
Safety Act, and this request is currently under active review. (Alta 2004)"

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Let's stay on topic please..

It is my understanding that we are required to maintain the factory emissions on all cars in the US. If it left the factory with a cat or dpf, you are supposed to maintain it on the vehicle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts