Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Is that a Crawfish Pot?
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys I'm waiting for a throttle pedal, air intake and battery temp sensor. I try to start it and it seems like it wants to but only puffs a little white smoke. I hear a little ticking sound coming from under the valve cover for exactly two minutes when I turn the key on, I'm pretty sure these are the injectors. What does it take to start a CR, does the tps, air intake and batt temp need to be hooked up just to start? I have the park neutral switch wire grounded and the VSS hooked up to the ABS.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I started mine the other day. You don't need a tps to start it, just park/N/Safety (I actually just grounded mine).

Mine fired right up after about 3-5 seconds of cranking.

You may need to get a recovery file, some CR's have a SKIMM file (anti-theft feature) that prevents them from starting.

Did you verify you have fuel pressure?

Here's mine

·
Is that a Crawfish Pot?
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was told that the ecm didn't have skim and it was flashed to a manual. Low fuel pressure is at 15 psi when cranking. High pressure around 5000 psi. By grounding the pns does the cruise and high idle work?

·
Is that a Crawfish Pot?
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anybody else want to take a stab at it?

·
Is that a Crawfish Pot?
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nobody?:confused013:

·
Is that a Crawfish Pot?
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could someone with an 05 go unplug those three things and see if it starts?

·
Is that a Crawfish Pot?
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow! 102 views but only one reply. Thanks for the help.:RANTIN:

·
Registered
37 Posts
so when you say high pressure 5000, how are you getting that reading? you do not need battery temp sensor or maf sensor to start. i would think tps but not sure. if there is any smoke while cranking you are close. if it was anti theft prob you would not have any. possibly low fuel pressure unless im reading that number wrong.

·
Is that a Crawfish Pot?
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so when you say high pressure 5000, how are you getting that reading? you do not need battery temp sensor or maf sensor to start. i would think tps but not sure. if there is any smoke while cranking you are close. if it was anti theft prob you would not have any. possibly low fuel pressure unless im reading that number wrong.
I got it started , but I have no throttle. The motor runs funny. It gets to 1100 rpms with a intermedate miss kind of like it defuels for a split second. When I ground the brake wires it floors it to around 3500 rpms, but both wires have to be touching one another. If I only do one at a time it doesn't do it. I have codes P2128 tps switch E high and P0073 air intake high. When I hook to the PCS and probe pin 2 on the tps I only see about 52%. When I probe pin 5 I see 100%. I think I might have a dead pedal or bad PCM. I reading the low pressure pump at 15psi and the rail pressure through my Commander.

·
Registered
37 Posts
this may seem like im being a smart a.. but in your previous post you said you were waiting for the throttle pedal. im assuming you got that and hooked it up and still have no throttle. mine sputtered for a few min and even a little when i went and drove it but it cleared itself up. i really have no idea why you get the rpms when you touch those wires. i usually try not to touch wires together when im not sure what they do. it has led me to replacing expensive parts that were not bad before i did what i did. ( ie. letting the smoke out). what year is this engine/truck combo? which tps do you have? is it the 6 wire one on the pedal or an older style?

·
Is that a Crawfish Pot?
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this may seem like im being a smart a.. but in your previous post you said you were waiting for the throttle pedal. im assuming you got that and hooked it up and still have no throttle. mine sputtered for a few min and even a little when i went and drove it but it cleared itself up. i really have no idea why you get the rpms when you touch those wires. i usually try not to touch wires together when im not sure what they do. it has led me to replacing expensive parts that were not bad before i did what i did. ( ie. letting the smoke out). what year is this engine/truck combo? which tps do you have? is it the 6 wire one on the pedal or an older style?
It doesn't seem like that at all. Sorry the truck is 2003 f550 and the motor is a 2004.5 with a rewired harness for a 2005 ECM. The APPS is Part # 53032794AB the straight 6 pin gas pedal.

According to the Painless manual the brake wires pin 36 & 37 on the 50 pin need to see ground when the brake pedal is not pressed. Also the PNS needs to see ground to let the motor start so you can't start it in gear. I can leave mine ungrounded and it will still start. Now I was told that this ECM would not send a signal to turn the fuel pump on but that was fine because I already had the Airdog wired in with the Ford fuel pump relay.

I did the troubleshooting procedure for code P2128 that I was getting. Everything was going good untill I got to step #4 which told me to replace the ECM.

They are going to let me know Monday if they have another ECM.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts