Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

7121 - 7131 of 7131 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Another wow. I am still painfully aware of how incredibly stupid the CA DMV can be, but thankfully they do not and cannot write laws.
So in real life, doubles are (or at least were) allowed in CA, even if the first one is a bumper pull, and must be towed by a commercial vehicle. Triples are not allowed.

Just as a thought experiment, what would you call it if I towed my con gear and a trailer using the receiver?
Obviously not an overly safe or realistic way to do it, but I could.
Normally the trailer would now be considered a single full trailer (not a semi trailer) since it's coupled to the con gear, but would you call it triples since it kind of is two separate trailers and is a bumper pull?
I need to correct myself. That is not considered triples. I read thru the handbook it says " doubles consist of a truck, semi trailer and trailer" semi trailer being a trailer without a front axle. So it would not be illegal because its triples but may be because there are two semi trailers. Sorry.

·
Registered
12,809 Posts
Where did you find it and how much??? I want one sooo bad!
We could clog up this thread for weeks on that subject, so it's probably best that you start one called "I want to buy a SEE", or something to that effect.
Anyway, I have five total, and might sell an HMMH (crane/forklift) and/or the HME (trencher/dozer), but not a SEE.

·
Registered
12,809 Posts
I need to correct myself. That is not considered triples. I read thru the handbook it says " doubles consist of a truck, semi trailer and trailer" semi trailer being a trailer without a front axle. So it would not be illegal because its triples but may be because there are two semi trailers. Sorry.
Well, the handbook is a bit off. It should've said "...normally consist...".
A B-train, for example, doesn't fit their description. Also, a pair of full trailers are still doubles, even though the first one isn't a semi trailer.

Of course, by now some CF members may be realizing that they are actually pulling semi trailers, which could really get this thread buzzing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sold my good friend a new compact track loader and I decided to use the 'old' work truck for its first actual tow with the new setup. That new trans and 366 sure made it seem like there was nothing behind us.

7121 - 7131 of 7131 Posts