Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 2005 3500 dually with 34,000 miles for $24,000. Any input on this year, model & engine? ANY PRO'S/CON'S IS VERY HELPFUL. I will be using the truck for a occasional hauling. I just want a good reliable truck that gets decent fuel milage empty & loaded!
What are some things I should look at when buying used?

·
On call 24/7
12,574 Posts
The early 05 models had plastic intercooler ends that were prone to cracking. Is it auto or stick? There were 2 different stick shifts in that year too. The early one was a cast iron nv5600 and the later is a aluminum cased G56, both are good trannies. I think the clutches were junk in the early G56 trucks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The early 05 models had plastic intercooler ends that were prone to cracking. Is it auto or stick? There were 2 different stick shifts in that year too. The early one was a cast iron nv5600 and the later is a aluminum cased G56, both are good trannies. I think the clutches were junk in the early G56 trucks.
Not to sound dumb, but how do you till if is an early/late model? It is a 6 speed manual with the reverse located in the upper RH corner which I "believe" makes it an nv5600. So is this a good thing?

·
On call 24/7
12,574 Posts
Im not sure where the reverse is in an 05, I believe mine is in the lower right hand corner. I know there was a change in there somewhere. You can slide under the truck and look at the tranny, if its cast iron its a NV5600 if its aluminum its the G56. I have driven trucks with both trannies and I like the way a NV5600 shifts better but some say they like the G56 better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts