Cummins Diesel Forum banner

what do I need to do to pull this?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Ram3500Dually 
#1 ·
My son races motocross and I want to send him out on the road with his mechanic. The model I am looking at is a raptor 3814ss.
Raptor RV specifications by Keystone
I have a 04.5 3500 srw with re48 and about 120k miles from hauling our smaller 28' toyhauler. The toyhauler dry will be unker 12k pounds but probably 14+ when filled with bikes and parts. I do have a budget. What would you guys recommend doing to the truck, what hitch would you recommend? I'm sure I need airbags, what about a exhaust brake? Tranny upgrades? Again think budget and what needs to be done so these guys are not stuck on the side of the road half way accross the country. Thanks for your help.

#2 ·
Welcome to CF

the trans is the weakest link....but i would think you should be ok as long as you keep the service up to date (trans filter, oil and band adjustment)

a converter and Valve body would be a good up grade for towing heave loads

Scott

#3 ·
Yup...Torque converter, Valve Body, good maitanence. Also, B&W hitches are excellent, slider if its a short bed. Airbags, probably check into the newer PacBrake airbags...they are way thicker, and have WAY more steel bands inside, along with huge Aluminum brackets. They are not much more expensive either. The exhaust brake is going to be the big expense...around $1000NIB.

#4 ·
1) Yes get your transmission rebuilt.

2) Check out this hitch; Receiver Hitches

3) I use Firestone bags but I've had problems with leakage. Got one leaking now. Check out PacBrake bags.

4) Exhaust brake the BD brake is probly the best from what I've looked at. Also look at the BD exhaust manifold if you go with dual exhaust.

5) I would also recommend an air filter, Mag-Hytec diff pans front and rear, Spearco cooler, Evans coolant, Painless Striker, or Smarty and/or van Aaken tuners. These ones can be stacked.

6) If you're looking at twin turbos, ATS has one that will fit on the turbo you have now, making this modification much cheaper than buying two.

7) With the price of fuel nowadays you might want to look at this WVO system; Welcome to Golden Fuel Systems! - HOME

I know all this stuff is a lot of money but it's well spent and will save money in the long run.

#7 ·
The expert has spoken. This guy knows everything. Nobody else needs to post as he has covered it completely. :rof

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.