Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so if I want to change the oil on my 08 6.7 I need:

12 litres of 20w50, Rotella or will any oil labeled for diesel work? Where is good price? Lordco? Crappy tire? I'm near Chilliwack.

I've notice some diesel oil is sold in very large containers, is there some sort of pump I need to transfer or should I stick to 4 liter jugs?

Should I get the filter from the dealer or is there a better place?

Do I need a special tool for the oil filter?

Anything else I should know before I start? I will need to buy an oil catch for 12 liters as the one I use for my car might be too small.

I do all my own work on my car but the truck has always gone to the dealership, I want to save some cash and do some of this myself. An oil change is a great start.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,757 Posts
You have a race car don't you? Pretty basic stuff.

Oil is up to you, I've used Rotella, then went to 18l pails of Valvoline Premium blue from Cummins, then 4 US quart jugs of same from Oreilly's in the US. Do whatever you need to do to get 12 US quarts into it. I'm gonna stick to Valvoline Premium Blue, Rotella really smells.
If you buy 4 litre jugs be extremely careful not to pour any bits of the foil seal under the cap into your crank case, been reports of those little pieces blocking passages in the block.

I buy my filters from Cummins.

I use a filter wrench that fits over the end of the filter, turn it with a 3/8 ratchet and long extension from underneath.
LISLE 54780 END CAP FILTER WRENCH-Dodge Cummins Diesel Truck Accessories – Geno’s Garage

Get a large oil pan from Lordco, Princess auto or whatever.

I've done every oil change on my truck since new and all the mods in my signature myself. Dealer only did recalls etc or warranty work (axle u-joints), and an alignment.

Reactions: Megasixpointseven

·
Premium Member
6,757 Posts
Once you loosen the filter you can slide a 2 litre pop bottle with the top removed over the filter and turn it, when it falls off the filter and any spilled oil will go into the bottle instead of running down your arms etc.

·
Registered
658 Posts
that's a heavy oil. Why not a 15w-40 or 5w-40?

nice pics of the cobra - reminds me of my '82 GT I had way back when... it was also black on black.

I agree... an oil change is an easy way to save some money.

·
Premium Member
6,757 Posts
Never noticed that, you're right, 15w-40 for sure.

·
Registered
893 Posts
15/40 what I use but I go to great Canadian oil change. Cuz I'm lazy.

·
Registered
658 Posts
15/40 what I use but I go to great Canadian oil change. Cuz I'm lazy.
:coffee: one man's lazy is anothers profit... just look at all of the pre-grated cheese, pre-chopped veggies (you know - those green and orange things the wifey puts out for decoration on the table :hehe: ), pre-cut meats, heat 'n server foods, oil change places ...

How much does GC relieve your wallet of?

as for me... I'm going to hold off changing mine for a while.... too cold out for me to crawl under the truck.

·
Premium Member
6,757 Posts
Depends on the person I guess, I like working on my vehicles but I spose if I had lotsa money I'd pay someone to do it and spend more time fishing...?

... but in the meantime I've been a tinkerer since I got my first car at 16. Right now I'm trying to fix our carpet shampooer.

<EDIT>
Shampooer's fixed, tomorrow I tackle the ice maker! ;)

·
Registered
893 Posts
They charge me about $100. I like working on my truck too just to lazy to crawl under her. Not to mention I've got terrible knees.
Hey Will, can you fix my shampooer I've bin putting it off for a bit. Funny you said that , the wife was on me this morning.

·
Premium Member
6,757 Posts
Ours is a Bissell like the ones Costco sells, it was spaying just water, wasn't drawing any soap. Pulled it apart and found the hose for the soap was full of crap, like the soap sat in there during a period of non use and turned into a thick white paste. Cleaned it out and it's good as new. ;)

·
Registered
893 Posts
Ours is a Bissell like the ones Costco sells, it was spaying just water, wasn't drawing any soap. Pulled it apart and found the hose for the soap was full of crap, like the soap sat in there during a period of non use and turned into a thick white paste. Cleaned it out and it's good as new. ;)
I think that's what's wrong with our little green machine. I would have fixed it but I've bin super busy building my sons race quad. Time challenged at the moment. :banghead:

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all the advice, this is my first diesel and I am bit afraid to work on it. An oil change is a good first start to get over that fear. I'll have to put my order in to Genos on payday.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Those oil filter "sockets" are available at Canadian Tire. That is where I bought mine. It was the largest one they have - size 1? I can't remember.
Just need that and a long extension for the ratchet. You should be able to drop the filter without spilling.
I was concerned about working on my truck at first, but I just went slow, read a lot on this forum, took pictures, and everything went fine.
It gave me the confidence to do the full deletes too, and install a lot of other things in my signature.
I think it is a good idea to know your truck. It saves a lot of money and if your truck breaks down in the field you have some idea on what to do.

Scott.

·
Premium Member
6,757 Posts
Don't go to Genos, they sell those kinda filter wrenches anywhere, UAP NAPA, Lordco, Princess auto etc. Cept don't buy the cast alum one, it will break where the 3/8" socket goes in.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Rotella in the 18L jugs from Wal-Mart $67 Filter from Cummins in Port Kells $11 and for the just incase a piece of cardboard to absorb any drops on the concrete. Really easy and a good start.

·
Premium Member
6,757 Posts
Last time I bought filters at Cummins they were about $14 ea,, that was in 09.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, just one last question:

on the drain plug, what size "socket" do I need? It looks like a torx (spelling?) fitting?

When I was down in the US, I picked up about 13.5 liters of Rottela for about 43 bucks and a mopar/cummins filter for about 11 bucks. I hope to take on the oil change tomorrow if it isn't raining.

All I can say is, wow is that oil filter high up, I'll thinking about trying to get the oil catcher higher up to prevent some oil splater.

·
Premium Member
6,757 Posts
On my 06 the drain plug just takes a 3/8" socket.

Reactions: Megasixpointseven
1 - 20 of 27 Posts