Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

5881 - 5900 of 5985 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Got a new bottom seat cover today, 3rd party, fake leather but Supposedly an upgrade in durability. My seats are cloth but whatever.
However I found the new foam I just put in like 2 months ago is already ripped. Dang it!

View attachment 905862
Get some canvas material and 3M spray adhesive and put over the "high stress" areas of the foam to try to get it to hold up better. That is what the local upholstery shop does and the foam seems to hold up

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Get some canvas material and 3M spray adhesive and put over the "high stress" areas of the foam to try to get it to hold up better. That is what the local upholstery shop does and the foam seems to hold up
Part of the issue was poor quality materials in the eBay seat foam I bought. Im either going to try to repair this one with glue and reinforce it like you suggested or buy the one from Genos for $150 shipped and still reinforce it as you said.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
New rear drive line installed. Truck had an annoying vibration at 60+ mph. U-joints seemed good by trying to shake the drive line. The U-joints on the removed line seem ok but the new driveling seems to have eliminated the problem.
If I lived in a place that had close enough drive line service I would have taken my truck there but I live in a little two horse town.

·
Trying to learn
5,646 Posts
2 new Batteries with new Mil. Spec cable ends, also 2 new battery blankets.

·
Mega Cab Fanatic
533 Posts
I just dropped off new bumper to get powder coated the same color as my truck. Next week gets installed.
4_1556385132906[1].jpeg
20200617_195349.jpg
20200617_195349.jpg

Reactions: s10010001

·
Registered
740 Posts

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
well after a fail on the first seat cover I bought (didn’t fit at all, I guess some trucks have an all plastic part around the bottom?) I got a OEM match seat cover from “The Seat Shop” made right here in the great state of Texas.

Perfect fit, high quality, easy install. It was pricy at $160 however.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for posting that. That was really a quick find to match what I have in mine. Genos does not carry the OEM for my 2009 and as soon as I typed it in The Seat Shops system, it was an exact match. I have had a hard time locating OEM. Now to swallow the $160 pill, lol. But it will look better than my current hole with new foam protruding under my seat cover.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Thanks for posting that. That was really a quick find to match what I have in mine. Genos does not carry the OEM for my 2009 and as soon as I typed it in The Seat Shops system, it was an exact match. I have had a hard time locating OEM. Now to swallow the $160 pill, lol. But it will look better than my current hole with new foam protruding under my seat cover.
yea it’s pretty nice for sure. I replaced the foam a while back. When I put on this new cover I used some strips cut from the middle section of the old seat cover and 3m spray glued them along the top on the side that rips (to the foam) and under the foam where it sits on the rough frame. Hopefully, that helps this foam last longer, idk. It was a free mod haha.

·
Registered
42 Posts
my 04.5 is getting new Cat batteries and a cable set from Geno's, old batteries made it though the winter but are going fast, I have only heard good things about the cable sets from Geno's, so this should be pretty straight forward

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Well, tonight I out the stock spacer plates in my rear suspension. I was sorta reverse leveled as I took out 2/3 of them (you have to have at least 1.

I swear, I’m doing silly stuff like this. Stock, simple and reliable going forward.

Well she sits stock height again, I’m adding Timbrens tomorrow to help with the new 5er

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, tonight I out the stock spacer plates in my rear suspension. I was sorta reverse leveled as I took out 2/3 of them (you have to have at least 1.

I swear, I’m doing silly stuff like this. Stock, simple and reliable going forward.

Well she sits stock height again, I’m adding Timbrens tomorrow to help with the new 5er

View attachment 906403
I've wanted to do this mod for some time now, my truck has two spacers, I'm wondering why I need to keep one of them in place as you have mentioned?

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I've wanted to do this mod for some time now, my truck has two spacers, I'm wondering why I need to keep one of them in place as you have mentioned?
Basically, you can remove two of the three spacer platers (or blocks, they're more like plates). It will drop the rear end of your truck 3/4". Leaving it just a little higher, like 1/2" in the rear. This gives it a level stance without messing with the front. It also made a noticeable difference in tailgate loading height. You do want the back a little higher. A perfectly, truly leveled 3rd gen looks a little nose high when it's not. So it's best to keep the rear at least 1/2-1" higher. (varies from truck to truck I would think)

That said.
1. Its a PITA to go
2. Plan on replacing the center bolts holding the left pack together since they will likely be rusty trash when you pull them. They took a beating to get out, Busted knuckles kinda work for sure lol.
3. Any sign of weight in the bed and the truck looks nose high.
4. now lower, things like Timbrends, or airbags you might want down the road might not work right without modding.

Would I do it again? Hell no. It looks good, but going nose high every time to use the truck is lame. It doesn't look that much better to warrant cracking off the factory placed u-bolts and spring bolts, busting you hands and back up for. I would just leave it be! If I want the level look, I will lift the front, add bags and run a bigger tires. But no, I'm staying stock. (In fact next tires set im going from 286/75 to stock 265/70). I have come to the realization that life is too short to be wasting my time on dumb stuff like that mod lol.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Basically, you can remove two of the three spacer platers (or blocks, they're more like plates). It will drop the rear end of your truck 3/4". Leaving it just a little higher, like 1/2" in the rear. This gives it a level stance without messing with the front. It also made a noticeable difference in tailgate loading height. You do want the back a little higher. A perfectly, truly leveled 3rd gen looks a little nose high when it's not. So it's best to keep the rear at least 1/2-1" higher. (varies from truck to truck I would think)

That said.
1. Its a PITA to go
2. Plan on replacing the center bolts holding the left pack together since they will likely be rusty trash when you pull them. They took a beating to get out, Busted knuckles kinda work for sure lol.
3. Any sign of weight in the bed and the truck looks nose high.
4. now lower, things like Timbrends, or airbags you might want down the road might not work right without modding.

Would I do it again? Hell no. It looks good, but going nose high every time to use the truck is lame. It doesn't look that much better to warrant cracking off the factory placed u-bolts and spring bolts, busting you hands and back up for. I would just leave it be! If I want the level look, I will lift the front, add bags and run a bigger tires. But no, I'm staying stock. (In fact next tires set im going from 286/75 to stock 265/70). I have come to the realization that life is too short to be wasting my time on dumb stuff like that mod lol.
Thank you so much for taking the time to go into the details, and really great thoughts on how the truck loads up and looks with that weight in the bed

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well after a few months of having the stock wheels on I had to get a new set of tires for my other wheels that had a defect in them being on Tuesday doing a post trip inspection I noticed it developed a bubble on one of them which I think is a defect on these tires once they hit 45k. So I went with cooper AT3 XLT’s got them put on Wednesday and now have 1k on them 900 miles of pulling my 2 car trailer and so far I love them and extremely impressed with the ride quality of them I really love how they handle on the highway in down pours being the toyos did it seem to like it that much

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Timbrens went in, I’ll post how it sits when I hook it up to the 5th wheel later today.

I also added rubber tube shims to my steering column. It feels great, I’m surprised how much that helped.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Timbrens went in, I’ll post how it sits when I hook it up to the 5th wheel later today.
View attachment 906582

I also added rubber tube shims to my steering column. It feels great, I’m surprised how much that helped.
View attachment 906583
Can you explain a little more on the rubber shims you put on your steering curious on it thanks

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Can you explain a little more on the rubber shims you put on your steering curious on it thanks

Yea basically there is a bushing that’s wears out, making a dead spot in the wheel. If you look under there while you turn the wheel you will see the pin move and touch the metal. A piece of hose In there fills the gap and doesn’t let the pin flex. Tape holds the hose in place.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Yea basically there is a bushing that’s wears out, making a dead spot in the wheel. If you look under there while you turn the wheel you will see the pin move and touch the metal. A piece of hose In there fills the gap and doesn’t let the pin flex. Tape holds the hose in place.
Nice I am going to have to do that mod thanks so much do you know the size of the tubing you used and where you got it

5881 - 5900 of 5985 Posts