Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I'm a little confused.

I installed a Aem Brute force intake with a dry filter.
Problem is the filter minder says the filter is dirty or needs to be replaced whatever.

No way is it dirty after a day. Do I need a better filter?

Also do you guys hear a blow off sound sometimes?

I feel so stupid asking these questions.
To me it would seem that the truck is not getting enough air, why else would it say plugged filter.
It still runs great, loud turbo whistle, my wife hates it...lol

Thanks

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I know it sucks the minder all the way down and i called AEM on this and they said that it is from such a mass amount of air going into the tube but on the other hand if my truck is over stock modification which it is he would recommend the new bruteforce workhorse HD!!

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
hillbilly, the HD is the same as the reg BF, it just has a bigger filter.

BOTH AEM intakes will suck the minder down because they put it in a horrible spot. period...however, since putting the Amsoil filter on mine, it hasn't sucked it down as far :w:

·
Registered
398 Posts
I had the same issues with my AEM. I guess you can call it issues. The first time I heard the hissing sound during tranny shifting, I freaked out thinking my tranny was going. Turns out its nothing more than me hearing the air flow throught the filter. My buddies ex-truck (07 5.9L) did the same thing.

And you must understand the stock filter change meter is that, set up for a stock filter. Pay it no mind. Just take the filter off and blow it out every couple months and youll be fine.

I love my AEM filter.
Joe E.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, thanks guys

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
That noise you hear is turbo bark. Beware.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
In case you dont know it's where the compressor wheel starts spinning very quickly for a short period of time and then tries to reverse the spin. Very, very bad stuff.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well how do you get it to not do that?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hardly ever shift above 2000. I hardly ever run the truck above 2000 for that matter. I also noticed it doing this while pulling a hill with the cruise control on, the truck wasn't lugging or anything. Can you hear this bark with a stock airbox?

Now i'm worried again..lol

Do I need to change my driving style???

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh yea that's definatly noise..It shouldn't do that at 2000 rpm..Should it? It's not as bad as the one in the video. but still NOT GOOD

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
Ease out of the throttle before you shift...that's about all you can do without dumping a lot of money into a blow off valve...

·
Registered
769 Posts
I wouldn't worry much about the turbo. The sound you are probably hearing is the blow off valve doing what it's supposed to do. As far as the filter minder, I had a Brute Force on my truck and it done the same thing, stayed sucked all the way down. I switch to the Workhorse intake and it hardly ever moves. It will only get sucked down halfway if I run it hard. I think the smaller filter on the Brute Force just doesn't flow enough air. But, I wouldn't worry much about it unless you plan on doing some performance mods.

·
Premium Member
7,010 Posts
I have an AEM Workhorse HD Diesel intake and the filter minder stays in place all the time........

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
my new brute hd also sucks my minder down on hard acceleration, gawd love the sound it puts out. the minder on the factory setup is located on the air box not the torque tube. im sure this is the reason its pulling down.

like awenthol said, dont build a bunch of boost then rapidly take foot off the pedal, bad bad bad

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Let off slowly of the skinny pedal so If it barks it doesn't break your shaft.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I can pull my filter minder down in to the red at WOT with stock air box even with a new Fleetguard air filter in it so don't worry about the stupid filter minder.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts